Question Bought a new power supply and it doesn't work with my chinese motherboard

Jun 4, 2024
as the title says I tried the "Beast Power Z" power supply on an AM4 gigabyte a520 motherboard and it worked
but when I tried it on my PC that has a Chinese motherboard x99 (it is called "ZSUS X99-P4" it spins the fan of the CPU and its fan for one second then stops
my pc configuration:
intel xeon e5-1650v3
ram Asgard 8gb 3200mhz ddr4
AMD r7 250 OC 2GB

NOTE: the "Mac-Tech" power supply works with this configuration for some reason, although it claims "600w" it doesn't have an 8pin connector so I had to change it

I don't know why it doesn't work but 4-pin should be good enough, since most Chinese X99 boards don't actually use the X99 chipset, but an 80-series Lynx Point one (like B85) which is BIOS-hacked to work with LGA-2011-3.

The clue is they only have dual-channel memory like your board instead of quad-channel like a real X99. So ZSUS... is sus. About as Enterprise-grade as those PSUs, hmm?

Jun 4, 2024
I don't know why it doesn't work, but 4-pin should be good enough, since most Chinese X99 boards don't actually use the X99 chipset, but an 80-series Lynx Point one (like the B85), which is BIOS-hacked to work on LGA-2011-3.

The clue is that they only have dual channel memory like your board instead of quad channel like a real X99. So ZSUS... is sus. About as enterprise-grade as those PSUs, hmm?
The funny thing is that the "Mac-tech" only has a 4-pin CPU connector instead of an 8-pin connector in the "Beast Power Z" power supply, and the brand of the new power supply is quite famous in my country, so I don't understand why it didn't work, could there be a setting in the bios of this Chinese motherboard that prevents it from working properly?

Being as I don't know jack about the two brands of power supplies you pictured I can give outcome I have had with a Chinese board.

Same as you I tried to use the 8 pin and CPU fan twitched and no boot. Off the same power supply I also had a 6 pin motherboard CPU cable but using that no issues with booting.

So my first thought bad board and was send replacement and same thing 8 pin no boot 6 pin no issue.

Then it hit me to just try a different power supply and on 8 pin boot no issue.

Looks like both your pictured power supplies are single rail 12 volt lines so don't know if that was my issue and now your problem as well.

I never did do a deep look at the non working 8 pin power supply I just yanked it and moved on.

Jun 4, 2024
Being as I don't know jack about the two brands of power supplies you pictured I can give outcome I have had with a Chinese board.

Same as you I tried to use the 8 pin and CPU fan twitched and no boot. Off the same power supply I also had a 6 pin motherboard CPU cable but using that no issues with booting.

So my first thought bad board and was send replacement and same thing 8 pin no boot 6 pin no issue.

Then it hit me to just try a different power supply and on 8 pin boot no issue.

Looks like both your pictured power supplies are single rail 12 volt lines so don't know if that was my issue and now your problem as well.

I never did do a deep look at the non working 8 pin power supply I just yanked it and moved on.
i have a guess that this mb utilize the single rail 5 volt lines more than the 12v lines since the new psu has less

i have a guess that this mb utilize the single rail 5 volt lines more than the 12v lines since the new psu has less
Doubt it, 16 amps on the 5v rail is quite a lot for a modern system like that even if its chinese janky stuff, x99 is 2014, Reliant of a lot of amps on the 5v rail was mostly phased out well before that.

I suspect that board is not following standard or there is some sort of flaw with it. Have you tried using only the 4pin of the new PSU? Since it's Xeon anyway you really don't need the 8pin eps, 4 pin should do even with a locked boost on all cores if that board does that.

Whats the model of that board anyway?

But that comes with the territory with messing with jank stuff, sometimes it goes great other times you have weird little issues like this, Also them PSU's are not great anyway, better off finding a used Corsair or EVGA unit or the sort on marketplace.

Good Luck!

Jun 4, 2024
Doubt it, 16 amps on the 5v rail is quite a lot for a modern system like that even if its chinese janky stuff, x99 is 2014, Reliant of a lot of amps on the 5v rail was mostly phased out well before that.

I suspect that board is not following standard or there is some sort of flaw with it. Have you tried using only the 4pin of the new PSU? Since it's Xeon anyway you really don't need the 8pin eps, 4 pin should do even with a locked boost on all cores if that board does that.

Whats the model of that board anyway?

But that comes with the territory with messing with jank stuff, sometimes it goes great other times you have weird little issues like this, Also them PSU's are not great anyway, better off finding a used Corsair or EVGA unit or the sort on marketplace.

Good Luck!
well i tried only 1 4pin connector and it spins the fans for like 2~3 seconds then stops
tried full 8 pin connector didn't work
6 pin connector didn't work
the model of the board is x99-p4 or x99-8d4