Question Bought a new router. Having issues with Ethernet connection

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
I just bought a new Tp-link archer a7. I got it all set up and everything. The WiFi worked and then when I went to use my computer that’s connected via Ethernet it can’t connect and then essentially turns the WiFi off. I looked into it by checking through my router. The cause is poor connection which doesn’t make sense to me because the other router worked just fine. So i reset the router and modem connected to the WiFi again and it worked just fine. I then went back to my computer and the network did the same thing again. I once again rest everything and got it back working and then left for the weekend. Came back and everything seemed to be working with the WiFi still. Went and used my computer and had the same issues. I ran a window network diagnostics and got “DNS server might be unavailable” I tried everything I could and still no results. Is there anything else I can try to get this working properly?

kanewolf

Titan
I just bought a new Tp-link archer a7. I got it all set up and everything. The WiFi worked and then when I went to use my computer that’s connected via Ethernet it can’t connect and then essentially turns the WiFi off. I looked into it by checking through my router. The cause is poor connection which doesn’t make sense to me because the other router worked just fine. So i reset the router and modem connected to the WiFi again and it worked just fine. I then went back to my computer and the network did the same thing again. I once again rest everything and got it back working and then left for the weekend. Came back and everything seemed to be working with the WiFi still. Went and used my computer and had the same issues. I ran a window network diagnostics and got “DNS server might be unavailable” I tried everything I could and still no results. Is there anything else I can try to get this working properly?
Start by using a brand new cat5e cable (not a flat cable) between the router and your PC. If you have in-wall cabling, that may be your problem. You need to test with a single, brand-new cable.

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
I tried a different cable and that didn’t fix it. The WiFi seems to work fine until I try to use my computer and then the entire internet stops working. Also went back to the old router and everything is working. Unfortunately I need to get the new router working because my roommate is moving out and taking the old router.

Last edited: