Question Bought a upgrade package deal, will only boot with 1 RAM

Dec 5, 2019
Hi guys,

So - For Black Friday I bought an "Upgrade Package"-deal containing the following:
  • Intel Core i5-9400F Prosessor
  • ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151 Mobo
  • HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 16GB 2666MHz (2x8GB)

I already had an ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC GPU, and 2x SSD's.

Now, upon trying to boot up the new system with both RAMs clicked in - the yellow DRAM light was on and the system wouldn't boot. After testing, I figured out that both RAMs work on their own, in the B2* (recommended) spot.

I have tried to update the BIOS and tried to meddle with BIOS settings, nut nothing seems to work. Anyone have any tips on moving forth from here? The RAM seems to be working fine, and they should be compatible with the mobo. Is this a mobo/cpu issue? Are there any settings I missed? I've been trying to make it work for 4-5 hours, and I'm truly lost. Any suggestions appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
We will need to know your specs for the system, before the upgrade and after the upgrade. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So we should see two sets of specs.

That being said, breadboard the system prior to dropping it into your case. You should also try removing the CMOS battery while the system is powered down and replace it after 30 minutes.

Dec 5, 2019
The only difference is in the first 3, as those are the 3 swapped out.

Old:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K (1150-Socket)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (1150-Socket)
Ram: 2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz
SSD1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
SSD2: Kingston
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC
PSU: Corsair RM850 (850W)
Chassis: Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 Midi Tower

New:
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F Prosessor
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151
Ram: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 16GB 2666MHz (2x8GB)
SSD1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
SSD2: Kingston
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC
PSU: Corsair RM850 (850W)
Chassis: Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 Midi Tower

Dec 5, 2019
We will need to know your specs for the system, before the upgrade and after the upgrade. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So we should see two sets of specs.

That being said, breadboard the system prior to dropping it into your case. You should also try removing the CMOS battery while the system is powered down and replace it after 30 minutes.

Alright, so I more or less figured it out - I completely removed the CPU - used canned air on the entire motherboard, and put it back in. Additionally, I went back to the BIOS and tweeked with some voltages. I am now having a different issue with the CPU however, where it gets extremely hot (80 degrees C), and the CPU fan is running at 100% at all times

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019
I've had the same problem a long time ago. You could try to resocket the RAM in different slots and tinker with timings. Does the RAM show up in the BIOS? :)

It does now, yes. Now I have a different problem - after finally getting the PC to recognize the CPU, my CPU seems to get extremely hot and the CPU fan runs at 100% from the second I turn on the computer. I did not screw up the cooling pasta, nor did I wrongfully install the CPU fan. Any ideas as to what is off?

Michael Valen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
It does now, yes. Now I have a different problem - after finally getting the PC to recognize the CPU, my CPU seems to get extremely hot and the CPU fan runs at 100% from the second I turn on the computer. I did not screw up the cooling pasta, nor did I wrongfully install the CPU fan. Any ideas as to what is off?
Sorry, but I have to ask this question. Did you remove the plastic from the cooler? Could you link an imgur image of the application (cooling paste)?

Dec 5, 2019
Sorry, but I have to ask this question. Did you remove the plastic from the cooler? Could you link an imgur image of the application (cooling paste)?

The plastic was removed indeed. I let the computer be off for 10 minutes, then restarted it. After a few minutes, the CPU stabilizes 48-50 degrees C (Which is not too bad), although according to SpeedFan my system reaches 60 degrees. The only fan going ham however, is the CPU fan - that goes at almost full throttle most of the time.

After taking off the fan and putting it back on again (although flipped it the other way horizontally), the temperature has gone down remarkably (previously the CPU was at 60 degrees, and my system was at 90-100 degrees). I am currently downloading speedfan, and if that fails I'll have to go through the BIOS and see if I did something wrong with fan settings, although I doubt that's the case.

Here's an imgur of application of cooling pasta and fan installation: View: https://imgur.com/a/GwxSsvH

Dec 5, 2019
Alright, so temperatures seems stable until I do anything whatsoever on the computer. The temperatures stabilized around:
CPU: 32 degrees
System: 40 degrees.

20 seconds after I opened Windows Update however:
CPU: 55 degrees
System: 70 degrees.

I am utterly confused right now.

Michael Valen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
Alright, so temperatures seems stable until I do anything whatsoever on the computer. The temperatures stabilized around:
CPU: 32 degrees
System: 40 degrees.

20 seconds after I opened Windows Update however:
CPU: 55 degrees
System: 70 degrees.

I am utterly confused right now.
The stock cooler that comes with intel CPU's isn't the greatest option, but then again, you applied the thermal paste evenly so that isn't a problem. I've checked reddit and other forums and they say that 9400F should be 30-35C* idle with the stock cooler. Can you try HWmonitor instead of other programs? It could be a reading error. Do the fans ramp up when you hit 55 degrees on the CPU?

Edit - Could you try to disable XMP profile and check?

Dec 5, 2019
The stock cooler that comes with intel CPU's isn't the greatest option, but then again, you applied the thermal paste evenly so that isn't a problem. I've checked reddit and other forums and they say that 9400F should be 30-35C* idle with the stock cooler. Can you try HWmonitor instead of other programs? It could be a reading error. Do the fans ramp up when you hit 55 degrees on the CPU?

The fans seem to be running somewhat normally until I open anything (With the exception of the CPU fan, which runs pretty highly regardless). When I open anything (Edge, Windows Explorer, Control pane etc.), the computer goes up to 55C CPU and 75C System - and the fans ramp up to max speed. I will download HWMonitor and have a look, but at this point it feels like something has a defect in some way.

Dec 5, 2019

Edit - Could you try to disable XMP profile and check?

I rolled the BIOS back to default, XMP profile automatically disabled. No change. I had to run, so didn't get to download HWMonitor yet. I'm concerned about a faulty motherboard as I've read a lot of posts having various issues with them, but none are similar to mine by the looks of it. Perhaps sensors are faulty?

Michael Valen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
I rolled the BIOS back to default, XMP profile automatically disabled. No change. I had to run, so didn't get to download HWMonitor yet. I'm concerned about a faulty motherboard as I've read a lot of posts having various issues with them, but none are similar to mine by the looks of it. Perhaps sensors are faulty?
You should contact the seller and check with them. Normally you should get some support (get a new motherboard/CPU) to check if that's the component that is faulty.