Question Bought used gpu after last one died, artifacting and freezing and now working great

doctorrichford1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8VT4Xy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($168.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($110.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB Video Card ($1198.00 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit

Got a used 3080 off ebay yesterday after my 2080 died, but now I can't tell if it's faulty. Right now it's working great, but when I turned my computer on today I started to get big white block artifacts on my screen while watching youtube and then both of my monitors froze and I couldn't get any commands to work(not a bsod). I restarted and the same thing happened at the windows login screen. I restarted again, but this time my main monitor (connected thru DP) wasn't getting signal and my second monitor (hdmi) was frozen like before. One last restart and my main monitor still isn't getting signal, but my second is working fine, I login and jiggle the DP cable at both ends it's connected, but when I jiggle it on the gpu end the monitor gets signal and everything since then has been working great. Is this a problem with my drivers (I didn't use ddu) or is my card faulty?

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build?

(I didn't use ddu)
You should use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from the build, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

doctorrichford1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
How old is the PSU in your build?

(I didn't use ddu)
You should use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from the build, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
The psu is only a year old, will do that tomorrow after work. thx

doctorrichford1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Wanted to finish this thread by saying this 3080 ended up having a dead DP and started artifacting so it was total junk lmao. Ended up getting another one on top of a refund shoutout to Wazno on Ebay for selling me a total dud

Wanted to finish this thread by saying this 3080 ended up having a dead DP and started artifacting so it was total junk lmao. Ended up getting another one on top of a refund shoutout to Wazno on Ebay for selling me a total dud

Ebay seller has lots off good feedback and dose sell lots of used things and aceepts returns if you got problem then contact them but dont shout them out on forums for selling duds could be a mistake and did not know about dp port or something like that. Contact and return and leave a review but buying used GPU can be risky