[SOLVED] Brand new custom CLX build over heating, i7 10700k overclocked. HELP PLEASE!

Sep 19, 2020
I recently bought a custom high end gaming system from CLX and have been having major over heating issues with the system. I'm desperate. It's a i7 10700K overclocked (they overclocked it prior to shipping), with 32gb ddr4 ram 3200, and a geforce 2070 rtx super, 850w psu, 1tb m.2 ssd, 3tb hdd, asus rog strix z490-h 1200 mobo. I purchased a 240mm asetek cpu cooler with radiator to go along with 3 intake fans on the front, 2 intake on top, and 1 rear exhaust fan. All fans are 120mm. 6 in total. When I run high demanding games such as rust, all cores stay around 95-100 degrees celsius. I thought maybe the thermal paste was bad so I tried cleaning off the stock paste and then purchased arctic mx-4 and reapplied/seated. Didn't work. I checked the fans in bios and they're all set to FULL speed which shows 100%. I have CLX sending me a 360mm cooler this time but something still isn't adding up. I feel like I should be able to cool the system with what I have already to begin with. I've tried for weeks looking for any answers that might help. Which is what is leading me to try and fight lightning in a bottle by posting here. My idle temps are around 30-35 degrees celsius. Spent so much money on a new system and I can't even play the game I want. So frustrating. I will attach some screen shots of coretemp/speccy/setup. If there is anything you can think of, anything at all, i'd greatly appreciate it. System is only 1 month old. Thank you!

Pictures:
Inside Case - CCore Reading In Game - Speccy Reading In Game - System Specs - Front Of Case

Edit: All graphics drivers are updated.

Solution
Your motherboard actually has a '1-click OC' feature called MCE, or Multi Core Enhancement, in bios.
When you get the 360mm cooler, turn that on.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ridiculous - not you, but the folks who did this.
1)A 240mm hybrid cooler isn't adequate for a 10700K overclocked.

2)The front panel doesn't help at all towards getting reasonable airflow through the cooler.

The solution here is simple: remove the silly overclock. Whoever did this didn't know what the hell they were doing - an absurd 1.45Vcore?! That's voltage degradation territory.
Go into bios and apply the motherboard's defaults, save and exit.

Sep 19, 2020
The techs at CLX did the overclocking, and they're sending me out a 360mm cooler to replace the 240. Do you think that will make a difference? Is it even worth trying to keep the OC?

Or If I went out and bought a NZXT Kraken 360mm would that work? I'm just at a loss.

I'm not sure if the OC will really make that big of a difference for my setup, if it's even worth trying to keep it in the first place. In which case I don't know why i'm even bothering to keep it cool.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The techs at CLX did the overclocking, and they're sending me out a 360mm cooler to replace the 240. Do you think that will make a difference?
Yes and no, because of the front panel design.
How close are those fans to the V-shaped glass panel? Depending on how close they are... that's a choke point.
Hybrid coolers don't magically fix thermal woes - they are just as dependent on good airflow.

Is it even worth trying to keep the OC?
Negative. The current Vcore application is much too high.

Reactions: NicholasP
Sep 19, 2020
I just got Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, my plan was to replace the arctic mx-4 with the noctua since the noctua is apparently better for overclocking. Then install the larger cpu cooler. I am linking you two more pictures of the front of the case. There is a 1 inch gap between the V glass and the fans. I could in theory just remove the glass also.

Side of glass front - Front Of Case Head On

Is it possible to just adjust the vcore while keeping the OC? Or are you simply saying there is only 1 option here and that's to remove the overclock and forget about the cooling addons at this point.

Thank you again for your input, feel like i'm finally getting some honest answers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
About an inch between the fans and glass?
Well, there's much worse out there.

Is it possible to just adjust the vcore while keeping the OC?
Yes, but it's not as simple as 1, 2, 3.
Also depends on silicon lottery; if that particular cpu needs that much Vcore for a stable 5.1ghz OC, then such an OC is not realistically stable long term, and would wear down on you in a matter of months, perhaps sooner.

Or are you simply saying there is only 1 option here and that's to remove the overclock and forget about the cooling addons at this point.
This isn't the only option, but it's the simplest one, since you don't appear to be familiar with overclocking. It consists of trial and error, and copying some else's bios settings may not work.
The current 240mm hybrid cooler is fine with the 10700K running at stock.

Sep 19, 2020
Ok I understand. I think my plan of action is to wait until Monday, try the larger cpu cooler and new paste to see if that brings it down much. If not i'll just remove the OC. Does that sound right to you? Or should I just scrap the entire idea and remove the OC immediately regardless. Hopefully I didn't damage the chip. Thank you again.

Sep 19, 2020
So If I tried lowering the Vcore to say, 1.41 could that inherently really screw everything up to the point of no return? Apologies, i'm a big (old) newbie to the intricacies of overclocking. Just love gaming.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Negative. I simply looked up other 10700K overclocking threads and put 1 + 2 together.
I also used Silicon Lottery's binning statistics as a reference: https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics
CPUAll Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyPer Core FrequencyAll Core Die Sense VcorePower Limit% Capable
10700K4.90GHz4.80GHz4C+100MHz1.190V210W100%
10700K5.00GHz4.90GHz4C+100MHz1.210V220WTop 63%
10700K5.10GHz5.00GHz4C+100MHz1.230V240WTop 22%

2)That's not a thing. This is just a volunteer site. No one here is looking to get paid for anything, so there's no need for that.

Sep 19, 2020
Alright :) Thank you for the information. Just trying to find a positive resolution here. It has never been about money for me i'm just trying to get what I paid for. If I have to go above and beyond then so be it. I actually paid extra for overclocking and the "quality" thermal paste. Seems like this system never should've passed quality control the way it is right now. I paid $2,600+ for the system itself and then I bought the monitor seperately.

Sep 19, 2020
Ok, so I called tech support again. Seems the vCore voltage was being set automatically by the motherboard? I reset the bios completely, and then I went to the EZ Mode option and did the AI Overclock like you suggested. Temperatures are good now even without the 360mm cooler, just the 6 fans/240mm/arctic mx-4 paste. I'll attach a screen shot of core temp under load while playing rust.

Before Reset - After Reset + AI OC

What do you think?

vCore isn't going above 1.3 now and max temps are 75-80 under load (playing rust).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Two things

Looking to make some extra cash on the side? lol

1. please don't solicit people in the future, I know it was just a joke. but more importantly:

I paid $2,600+ for the system itself and then I bought the monitor seperately.

2. If I were you I'd be hammering them for a partial refund. $2600 for a non working system that was throttling and overheating? Thats not right and I'm sorry you got stuck with that.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Sep 19, 2020
They refunded me for the overclocking and high end thermal paste since clearly they used the pre applied paste on the cooler. Less than $60 of value I believe. However they are going to walk me through a manual overclock process again since now it's clear it was the bad OC giving me issues. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt before I make my final verdict. And yes it was just a joke about the side jobs, lol. I get it though. Just very grateful.

Phaaze88 though is a good man. If there was a tips system on this website he would surely get mine. I'm just happy I found these forums.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Phaaze88 though is a good man. If there was a tips system on this website he would surely get mine. I'm just happy I found these forums.

Agree hes an excellent fellow. Make sure to select his answer that solved your question as best answer by clicking the trophy icon next to his post, when you're all done.

I'm glad they refunded you something I'm just a bit jaded, thats a lot of money for such a problem. I'd almost be inclined to box it back up and send it back but I have a short temper, ha.

Sep 19, 2020
I am an old gamer. When I was younger I played pro TFC and then pro TF2. I love gaming. Always had to rely on parents buying me computers which never ran games well. Now that i'm old enough and making enough money to spoil myself with a high end system, I did so. It is a shame that it turned out this way. Hopefully I get it resolved to a point where i'm happy. The current games i'm playing are rust and overwatch. This acer predator 240hz monitor is bad ass. If I knew much about the inner workings of overclocking etc. I'm sure i'd be a lot more angry. In the end though I just want what I paid for, to have a bad ass gaming system, and lastly.. frag out in my games.

While i'm here, I did buy two thermal pastes out of making myself crazy. I have the Arctic MX-4 and the Noctua NT-H1. I read the Noctua is better for overclocking? Is this true in your guys experience or does it really not matter?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
While i'm here, I did buy two thermal pastes out of making myself crazy. I have the Arctic MX-4 and the Noctua NT-H1. I read the Noctua is better for overclocking? Is this true in your guys experience or does it really not matter?

Neither one is a huge amount better than the other, people put a lot of stock into thermal paste that can be a bit misplaced. Tom's did a great comparison:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108.html

As you can see you're talking about 3deg C difference from best to worst paste not including liquid metal (and 0.4C difference between your two), not exactly breaking any records.

Reactions: NicholasP

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so I called tech support again. Seems the vCore voltage was being set automatically by the motherboard?
Yes, the motherboard has it's own Vcore settings, but the pre-overclock you paid for... whoever did it, applied way too much Vcore.
Even with MCE enabled, the motherboard will use more than really needed, but it guarantees stability. It also wouldn't apply a dangerous 1.45 Vcore either.

(y)(y)

Reactions: digitalgriffin