Question Brand new laptop suddenly restarts and gets stuck in a boot loop

Ladrigon

Honorable
May 3, 2016
I just got a new laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad 5 w/ Ryzen 7 4700U) and installed windows 10 on it but didn't activate it. For the first day it worked fine, but the problem appeared yesterday and hasn't stopped no matter what I did.

What happens is that the laptop suddenly restarts with no prior warning and sometimes boots straight back up but in some cases it kept rebooting before coming to the windows sign in screen.

I have tried everything I could come up with but I'll post here just in case someone hase any idea on what could fix it before I decide to return it.

I have tried formatting and reinstalling windows using different USB sticks, running diagnostics on RAM, the SSD and CPU (no errors there), disabling the auto restart function on windows, reinstalling drivers, etc... and it still happened even on a clean Windows install without installing anything.

What is strange is that when I tried booting Ubuntu from USB it worked fine without ever restarting. At this point I am out of ideas on what could be the problem and have no idea on what else to try.

Lutfij

Titan
and installed windows 10 on it
Did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While here, please check to see what BIOS version you're on.

Does the laptop reboot while you're in BIOS? If so, that would be grounds for concern and you should RMA the unit.

Ladrigon

Honorable
May 3, 2016
I tried using the Windows creation tool as well as fabricating the USB mysef. I can stay in the bios indefinately as well as in Ubuntu, which has lead me to believe it might be something with Windows. I have updated the bios version as was prompted to me at the first driver install (i used the lenovo utility and promted me with the bios update) and is now on version 1.10.