Question Brand new RTX 3080 ti with very high temps - is this normal?

Sep 18, 2022
So I got a new computer with an MSI RTX 3080 ti and I am worried about the temperatures the GPU reaches under heavy load (i.e. Red Dead Redemption 2 on ultra settings). With a window open and a room temperature of 25 °C, the GPU reaches 84 °C with a hot spot of 89-91 °C according to GPU-Z. Is this normal or I should be worried?
Note: The GPU is with its stock cooler. Obviously but... still.

Oh, and for the people who are interested in the case I'm using - Be quiet! PURE BASE 500DX. The computer has enough space to breathe, as well.

screenshot.gif

DavidM012

Distinguished
A search of your concern yielded

https://hiveon.com/forum/t/allowable-temperature-of-msi-rtx-3080-3080-ti-gddr6x-chip/77611

This. So my assessment based on that is that your gpu temperature is about where it's supposed to be 90c or below.

You could spend money on methods to improve the thermal interface between the heatsink and gpu but it's likely not worth the trouble and complication of disassembly and reassembly particularly if it voids your warranty.

So otherwise you can add a ridiculous amount of optional fans and maybe find a way to place another fan to huff directly into the gpu air intake fan though there might not be anywhere to attach one.

It looks like you have one front intake fan mount and one rear exhaust fan mount with your case. So check that the front intake is drawing air in and the rear exhaust is expelling it.

Reactions: lifelover90
Sep 18, 2022
These are not idle temps - they've been recorded as I was playing Red Dead Redemption on ultra settings. The PSU is Corsair HX Series HX1000 80Plus Platinum Modular.

Sep 18, 2022
Which model MSI RTX 3080 ti ? MSI has 6 different models.

How many fans installed in the case?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?

I don't know if it's visible enough but there is the water cooling block for the CPU mounted on the front of the case, there are 2 fans on the top and that big one on the back.
1663524280269.jpg

DavidM012

Distinguished
Oh well it looks right your intake is from the rear and your exhaust is through the front because the aio fans are exhausting through the front.

So you could add an optional fan at the front panel and exhaust from the front. If you don't have one already.

Other than that you could add a fan and sit it on top of your psu to simply huff on the gpu laterally. Unless it's a fairly strong fan it may not have much effect. Like maybe 1 or 2c.

So that would be an optional 'side intake'.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Oh I didn't see the two top fans. Yes well you could add a optional front fan as an intake, flip the top fans to exhaust rather than intake, and flip the aio fans to intake from the front and flip the rear fan to exhaust from the rear rather than intake.

And add an optional side fan to huff directly on the GPU, it will do something even though you can't mod the glass side panel of your case.

Sep 18, 2022
Well, I'm not a hardware-savvy guy, which is why I had a company assemble this PC. It will be an interesting reaction from them when I told them that they didn't place the cooling properly. :ROFLMAO:

DavidM012

Distinguished
I wouldn't really bother talking to them and just flip the fans. And add another one for a front intake. After all some of the 120mm fans are another $5 or $10 each and you can spend a while searching for quiet fans to improve on it.

I would never buy a case with a glass side panel, they aren't on my fave list. With a metal side panel you could at least cut out a side mount for another optional fan to huff directly on the GPU which would have an effect on the gpu temp.

However it does look like you could make some modest progress by flipping the fans.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Or well perhaps simpler, just flip the two top fans since they are all huffing the same direction anyway because warm air rises if you try to intake from the top it's pulling the warm air down. So you want to exhaust from the top too. That will make some difference and it's simpler than reversing all the fans.

So it's rear intake front exhaust. I'm not sure it matters too much unless the gpu exhausts to the rear 'cos then you'd be pulling in some of the warm gpu exhaust and circulating it around the case.

The main thing to do is make sure none of the fans are opposing each other and basically all huffing in the same direction.

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
This is not a good temperature long term. The best way to reduce temps is to undervolt your gpu through msi afternurner. You can significantly increase its lifespan and even performance with undervolting.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
oh I know how about a floor intake to assist in pushing air upwards also?
There's a lot of things in the way that keep it from being effective in most cases. The psu shroud(even if perforated), the psu itself, psu cables, storage cage(if present), air filter, the amount of space between the floor of the case and surface the case is sitting on...
Now, if it were designed like Silverstone's Raven or CM's SL600M... bottom intake is very viable with those - Lian Li's O11s work too if placed on 2x4s or something similar.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Or just buy a metal case and do some modding dunno about simply a metal side panel of suitable dimensions instead of replace case in order to add a side intake.

But so far the OP could simply switch the fans and modestly improve the situation. Adding another front intake is another option and slight improvement with the PURE BASE 500DX case.

The time for talking is over and the time for doing is nigh.

Try flip fans and see if temps drop.

TRENDING THREADS