[SOLVED] Brand new Zotac 3080 ti, custom water cooled, GPU temp at 60C but hotspot touching 105C.

Oct 15, 2021
Running with Ryzen 5950x in a custom cooled 7000D Airflow. Installed the Corsair GPU XG7 block. First time benchmarking & stress testing, noticed GPU temps hovering between 60 and 70 C, but the hotspot kept shooting up to 105C. Another issue I noticed is there is a lot of fluctuations in the core clocking speeds, jumping from 900Mhz to 1900mhz. What could be going wrong here? Attached is a screenshot of the GPU Z Log. Please help, I'm petrified.

Solution
Hotspot isn't very reliable because it's not specified which sensor that reading is coming from. Perhaps memory or power delivery, as the gpu core isn't designed for temperatures that high; the core would've shut off on you at 90C.
Granted, that is a darn huge gap between the hotspot and the gpu core.

Fluctuations are going to be the result of thermal throttling.
Therefore: cooler/block not mounted correctly, or something's off with the pads you used, such as being the wrong size, or they're too firm/soft.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hotspot isn't very reliable because it's not specified which sensor that reading is coming from. Perhaps memory or power delivery, as the gpu core isn't designed for temperatures that high; the core would've shut off on you at 90C.

Therefore: cooler/block not mounted correctly, or something's off with the pads you used, such as being the wrong size, or they're too firm/soft.

Solution
Oct 15, 2021

Thank you very much for responding. I'll be taking my block apart and redoing the thermal paste and pads tomorrow, but circling back to 'hotspot isn't reliable and the source is uncertain' - will fixing the thermal padding & paste help this at all then?

Thank you again.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
will fixing the thermal padding & paste help this at all then?
Difficult to discern exactly where the problem lies. Hotspot doesn't tell you where.
All I can infer from the info is that the cooler isn't mating with the gpu correctly. Why though? I really can't say more than what I already said, sorry.
It could be the pads - did you use some custom pads because they were praised for how good they were?