Question Bricked my rx 580 and I can't flash a new bios since I keep getting failed to read rom error 0FL01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2022
Gpu: Xfx rx 580 gts xxx 8gb oc+
Before all of this gpu was only booting with the bios switch aimed to the right(It had a mining bios I assume since it had a lower clock and higher memory not to mention it performed terribly in games)always had to switch between the two when launching the pc so I could get good performance.
I did some research and apparently flashing a bios would help me solve this, so I flashed a bios via amdvb (the bios I flashed was from the techpowerup database it was apparently for the same model gpu so I thought it'd be fine) but nope! boom bricked, switching bios modes won't work since I flashed the working bios (stupid, I know) after this the gpu was not letting the pc boot til I did the paperclip trick(pc currently running on an igpu). And the gpu got detected and from then on I tried to flash it but yeah rom error....

You can try to -f force flash it with ATIFlash using the command line. You may have to try it multiple times until you get it to work. I'm not going to take the time to spell it out for you here, there are several tutorials/guides out there to help you.

Oct 26, 2022
You can try to -f force flash it with ATIFlash using the command line. You may have to try it multiple times until you get it to work. I'm not going to take the time to spell it out for you here, there are several tutorials/guides out there to help you.
tried that, same error

Oct 26, 2022
Sometimes, the same GPU can come with one of several different memory brands and the same bios will not work for across all GPUs that model. You need to ensure you are using the correct bios for the correct memory brand (Micron, Elpida, Samsung, or Hynix.) A couple of them are interchangeable, but the others are not.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
shorting 1-5 pins
I do not get why you would do that and how it helps... looks like another youtube victim. Here is a pinout for the IC, you shorted chip-select to a data line, how does it make any good? Potentially can damage the latter.
JQH3WlQ.png

still same issue sadly
Did you try flashing externally or using ATIFlash? All linked pictures have the links broken, not sure what the issue is now. I would do two things:
Check power on the IC (VCC to VSS should be 1.8v)
Check resistance between the two and WP/SI/SO to both and post the values so I can tell if it needs to be desoldered

Oct 26, 2022
Did you try flashing externally or using ATIFlash? All linked pictures have the links broken, not sure what the issue is now. I would do two things:
Check power on the IC (VCC to VSS should be 1.8v)
Check resistance between the two and WP/SI/SO to both and post the values so I can tell if it needs to be desoldered
[/QUOTE]
im very sorry, im really new to this and dont know how to check for either but yes i have tried atiflash

im really new to this and dont know how to check for either
Then better take it to a techy guy to have it looked over... I linked a guide I wrote earlier in the post, it can be followed for on/off board flashing with a cheap external programmer. Need to measure resistances prior to trying onboard flash. 5-10 minute job for someone who knows what he is doing. I'd help you at no cost in Toronto.

it's skhynix so i used the other bios you provided
I also checked the linked ROM file, it does not have memory timings for Hynix, you should use this one then.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
Then better take it to a techy guy to have it looked over... I linked a guide I wrote earlier in the post, it can be followed for on/off board flashing with a cheap external programmer. Need to measure resistances prior to trying onboard flash. 5-10 minute job for someone who knows what he is doing. I'd help you at no cost in Toronto.

I also checked the linked ROM file, it does not have memory timings for Hynix, you should use this one then.
someone already recommended that bios, still didnt work im afraid :((
1667260109734-png.268043

Oct 26, 2022

I really appreciate the offer for free help but I'm afraid I'm continents away ahaha, do you know how much it would cost to have some guy repair it?

someone already recommended that bios, still didnt work im afraid :((
The flash tool is not bulletproof. For example, it may fail to recognize the flash IC if it is not on its list...

I really appreciate the offer for free help but I'm afraid I'm continents away ahaha, do you know how much it would cost to have some guy repair it?
Give him 50$ if it works or a 6-pack if it does not ))

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS