[SOLVED] Bridge mode - Firewall enabled or disabled?

Abasayo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hello!

I have switched my modem to bridge mode.
The NAT and DHCP disabled of cos automatically, leaving that to my router.
The firewall + upnp stay enable.

The connection is fine.

I'm wondering, should I also disable the firewall of the modem, or that is not necessary/not affecting anything?

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
UPNP is part of NAT and when you run in bridge mode the device does not run nat.

On a consumer router it is highly unlikely the firewall does anything at all. Generally all configuration is ignored. Even on commercial firewalls it is not a common feature. Almost all firewalls use IP addresses when you run in bridge mode you are running at layer 2 so there is no ip addresses. It technically can be done but I have never seen a consumer router than has the ability.
UPNP is part of NAT and when you run in bridge mode the device does not run nat.

On a consumer router it is highly unlikely the firewall does anything at all. Generally all configuration is ignored. Even on commercial firewalls it is not a common feature. Almost all firewalls use IP addresses when you run in bridge mode you are running at layer 2 so there is no ip addresses. It technically can be done but I have never seen a consumer router than has the ability.

Solution
Thank you for claryfing this.
So basically check/uncheck firewall option while selecting bridge mode doesn't really have any affect.
Yep, pretty much. It's only useful if you're having issues with port forwarding or stuff like that and the firewall potentially is the issue so there's a switch for it now. But you're smart enough to run your own router and won't have to deal with isp routing issues. :)