Question Broken AM3+ Socket?

energylevels

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2015
Was removing heatsink and pulled out cpu along with it without the lever from AM3+ socket being released, presumably happned because the cpu was welded to the heatsink with thermal paste. Will that have damaged the cpu socket and/or the cpu as the board doesn't seem to be posting when new cpu and heatsink put in?

Was removing heatsink and pulled out cpu along with it without the lever from AM3+ socket being released, presumably happned because the cpu was welded to the heatsink with thermal paste. Will that have damaged the cpu socket and/or the cpu as the board doesn't seem to be posting when new cpu and heatsink put in?

If the socket is broken you might could fix it. Search Youtube and there are several videos of people repairing their AM3 sockets... here's one. You'll probably need a good magnifier and a bright light.

No guarantees but if it's unuseable already not much to loose. Be careful.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcMkxeJoUI

energylevels

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2015
Ther cpu came out stuck to the heatsink, so never had chance to release the lever. I'll take the advice given here thanks and next time make sure the heatsink/CPU ares till warm. I threw the motherboard away, I may have slightly smashed it in a temper :D

I noticed when looking at the CPU through a magnifying glass that it has some bent pins, presumably after being yanked out of the socket without the lever being released. If I carefully straighten the bent pins is the CPU is it likely to be OK?

Last edited: