Cyber_Wuss

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
While install a fan on my MB I accentdentally broke the center clip of the cpu socket that holds the fan in place. what are my options since I am sure that I can't install my fan under my current conditions

thanks

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I saw a post here a while back saying somebody used epoxy or other type of cement to re-attach the little plastic tab. Someone else noted that there are fans that attach to the tabs on either side of the center one. If you could find one of those, you'd be OK too.

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Whatever you use, it would have to be something with LOTS of strength, such as epoxy. Using the other mounting points would the best option, but I'm sure it will limit your heatsink options.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If you run out of good options, you may consider purchasing a different type cooler that doesn't attach to the clip. Well, here is a site with tons of <A HREF="http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Miscellaneous/Cooling_Solutions/CPU/" target="_new">COOLERS</A> to select from. Good Luck!

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

I'm feeling lucky in this case, same thing happened to me, but the motherboard was only 2 days since I got it. I should get a replacement, if they'll approve my RMA....

G

I'm feeling lucky in this case, same thing happened to me, but the motherboard was only 2 days since I got it. I should get a replacement, if they'll approve my RMA....
but there are coolers that you can put like Dragon Orb 3,
some Swiftech coolers use screw-in heatsinks, but they are expensive, I would recomend Dragon Orb 3, it uses all 6 clip tabs. I wanted to buy, but then why spend money if I can a new motherboard for free?