Question Broken Ram or Broken Mobo?!

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Hello my people I have a little question to ask, I gave my little brother my old PC when I say old its pretty old, It was upgraded though and now runs a few games at pretty decent fps, but anyway...

Specs ----
Mobo : asus p7p55d-e
Ram : samsung 1333mhz ddr3 8gb 2x4gb running at 1.34v
Gpu : gtx 770
Psu : tx650 corsair
Cpu : i7-870
Cooler : kraken x41

A few days ago I wanted to add more ram as My brother said he would often find himself playing GTA v and he would get unexpected shutdowns during the game and when I was there next to him when it happened the ram was often maxed out, maybe with like chrome in the background, or while playing five M.

I went and got some corsair xms3 2x4gb just standard ram NOT server ram I double triple checked , I checked beforehand to see if the mobo and cpu will handle 16gb of ram and yes it did.

When I put all of the sticks in the Pc would give off no picture on boot so, so a1/a2 were occupied with old ram b1/b2 with new, then tried to swap them over so old in B slots new in A slots, same thing happened, I tried new ram in a slots where the old ram sat, there was power but no boot, I think I have tried every combination out there for a 4 ram slot config, nothing worked, then I got it once to boot with all 4 ram sticks in somehow but it read 8gb of ram in bios, I ran out of ideas.

Also by the way the new ram corrupted the whole OS! so I had to do a fresh re install can anyone suggest why this has happened?

So My question is, would it be the mobo or the rams? I don't have another rig to test them in as my pc takes ddr4 what else can I try, were the rams wrong? Is there anything in bios I need to change? I didnt see no option.

Heeeeeeeellllllllllp!!!

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Hi, I think that It's about low vs high density RAMs, that manufacturers produce nowadays. The old boards use low density RAMs and it's a matter of luck to find compatible modules.
Crucial lists these modules as compatible: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/p7p55d#MEMORYFilters
You might also have luck with some Corsair kits too.

I see what you're saying and that could be the case, the ram I hqve purchased was 1.50v and the ones I see here are 1.35v and that is the same as the Samsung ram that is in there now, could that be the issue? 🤔 I know ram well enough but when It comes to V's I hqve no clue, my understanding was - plug and play, as thats what has happened in my new rig..

D

Deleted member 14196

mixing ram does not always work, as you are learning. memory is only guaranteed to work if purchased in kits, 2 or 4 sticks at a time. adding ram may or may not work, you are the tester. have you tried clearing cmos and seeing if the ram shows up in bios?

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
mixing ram does not always work, as you are learning. memory is only guaranteed to work if purchased in kits, 2 or 4 sticks at a time. adding ram may or may not work, you are the tester. have you tried clearing cmos and seeing if the ram shows up in bios?

I have indeed tried the above, the memory has not showed up in Bios, I was thinking to return the xms3 that I have purchased and go out and try to find a matching pair of the samsung ram that is already in the system, I have even tried to set the Mhz manually as well as timings from another forum that described a similair issue but with Kingston ram which has not worked, I think at this point thw only reasonable thing would be like you said to find a matching pair which could be quite dificult.

D

Deleted member 14196

take it back if you can. even then, even if you find the same brand and properties, it may still not work though. did you replace old ram with new and then clear the cmos and see if it boots? you can use Memtest86 to test ram

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
take it back if you can. even then, even if you find the same brand and properties, it may still not work though. did you replace old ram with new and then clear the cmos and see if it boots? you can use Memtest86 to test ram

Like I mentioned in the original post I have tried every combination under the sun, A1/A2 are my current slots for the Samsung ram and the xms3 that I purchased did not work in A1/A2, basically power and fans spinning but no image, just a second ago I have tried my Samsung ram again in B1/B2 thinking I might have missed something when trying for the first time..... there was no luck, red light next to (mem ok!)** button was solid , which leads me to think the B1/B2 ram slots might be toast.

**if the DRAM_LED is lit continuously, you're supposed to A. make sure the RAM is installed correctly ( which I did several times ) , then B. hold the MEM OK button until the DRAM_LED starts flashing.( did that ) It'll take 30 seconds to test each new DRAM config. If the config fails, it'll restart and try again. ( what happened is boot loop with mem ok led flashing like its on a rave )

^Tried that with no luck, that`s what the manual says.

Also that how I clear my cmos - Shut the computer down, turn the power supply off, unplug it. Remove the CMOS battery, then use a piece of metal (a coin will work) to touch both metal contacts in the battery socket (the one on the bottom and the one on the side). Hold it there for 5-10 seconds. Then replace the battery and try to boot, while mashing Delete. - there might be a simpler way but that what I believe works.

Also about booting to windows, I also said it corrupted my OS drive when I put the xms3 in God knows why and since the fresh re install I have not tried to put the new ram in just in case it messes up the os drive again, I believe memtest86 is a os thing so I would somehow had to boot into windows and risking corrupting my os and be lucky again to even start the ting with 4 ram sticks inside,.

Ready to give up and leave it at 8gb....

D

Deleted member 14196

like I said, if you want more ram, get a 2x8 kit of two sticks, shut off power, swap ram, clear cmos, then reboot and try it. part of me is thinking the old sabertooth is giving out on you. all of ours are failing after about 10 yrs at work (so we will be getting new x570s and Ryzen 2s)

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
use Crucial.com website to auto look up compatible parts, then you can cross-reference from there to other compatible brands, but I stick to Crucial usually unless doing a new build where I can spec everything.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info?cm_re=homepage-_-main-body-_-buy-memory-button

that can auto detect best memory options for you. you can buy at newegg or amazon or whatever once you know the part number.

Crucial only does 2x4gb and no 8gb dimms, I`ll find something that I know might work and buy it see how it goes and post back, for now It will have to stay as 8gb.

D

Deleted member 14196

you could do a kit of 4 crucial 4GB. i am using that in my sabertooth right now I think, that or GSkill, can't remember. it's guaranteed to work in form sold, so a kit of 4 should work together, unless you have mobo problems

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
you could do a kit of 4 crucial 4GB. i am using that in my sabertooth right now I think, that or GSkill, can't remember. it's guaranteed to work in form sold, so a kit of 4 should work together, unless you have mobo problems

That is exactly my concern, mobo problems..... I rather buy a 16gb kit 2x 8gb and be sure that It will work rather than play about with returns etc.

lynx1021

Distinguished
That motherboard only handles 4GB in each slot not 8GB, Probably needs low density also (hard to find) Crucial has limited Low density modules now. I had to buy the Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 : BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 off of ebay for my boards to max them out, Crucial doesn't make the double sided low density Ballistix anymore. You have to use a memory finder to guarantee compatibility, you can't just stick any DDR 3 in there. There is some G-Skill on Newegg that will work, https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231635

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
That motherboard only handles 4GB in each slot not 8GB, Probably needs low density also (hard to find) Crucial has limited Low density modules now. I had to buy the Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 : BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 off of ebay for my boards to max them out, Crucial doesn't make the double sided low density Ballistix anymore. You have to use a memory finder to guarantee compatibility, you can't just stick any DDR 3 in there. There is some G-Skill on Newegg that will work, https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231635

Ypu could be 100% right although when I tried my current ram which is a Samsung 1333mhz ram cant exactly remember the part number in different slots there is no boot so I'm guessing its the board thats toast I posted about this a while ago.