Brother HL-4070CDW Printer Keeps Going Offline

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
About 4 month ago I brought a Brother laser printer "HL-4070CDW," one of the best printers I've ever brought. My problem is every now and then the print will go offline. This happens for the two of three computers I have. Two of them having Windows 7 and the third having XP which is fine. When the printer goes offline I can not put in online again. The only way to do this would be to uninstall and reinstall it. After awhile this became a pain. If anyone knows a way to fix please I would like to know how. Thanks

Solution

banuelosjose60

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
2. Disable APIPA on the Brother printer. The option is found within the printer's settings under Network.

Disabling APIPA prevents the printer from assigning itself a local IP when its connection to the router is broken.

-Disabling the APIPA fixed this issue in my printer! Thank you for the advice

banuelosjose60

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
2. Disable APIPA on the Brother printer. The option is found within the printer's settings under Network.

Disabling APIPA prevents the printer from assigning itself a local IP when its connection to the router is broken.

- This fixed my offline issue! Thank you for the advice

Ron Ernie

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Ron Ernie

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Oddly enough, I had a similar problem. Wi-fi Printing was ok but scanning was not. I did the reconnect procedures time after time to get it working. As soon as I rebooted the problem came back. It came back because I did not realize that the wi fi connection for printing connected first and then the scanner got hooked up. I just rebooted and immediately pressed the scan button and got check connection. Someone mentioned that if they turned on the printer first then the pc, it worked fine. I got to thinking that just maybe we were not waiting a bit before scanning OR printing. Perhaps the solution of turning on the printer before the pc only worked because time passed while the pc was booting, and the printer connected all of its multi function wireless devices.So, I rebooted and waited a minute or so and everytime it now works. So give the printer a chance to hook up. Mine does printer within a few seconds but there is the scanner driver that has to be given a connection. Also if you are running MULTI FUNCTION, set your printer as default start if you use printer more than scanner. If you use scanner more, set that for default start. Default starts first, then the next device. There will be a delay to use the second device on the list. IT REALLY DOES WORK!

leeinyerushalayim

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

nanmulligan

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
It happens to my Brother every day but I don't have to uninstall and reinstall. I simply unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in and wala, it's fixed. It's a PIA but an easy fix for now. It started when I upgraded to Windows 10, I don't think it works well with it.

Mar 28, 2018