In Win XP Pro SP2, I've been looking at some services in services.msc
that I can live without, so as to peed up boot time.

One question mark is BrSpl. There's no description in services.msc,
and no dependencies are listed. I googled for "BrSpl service", and
all I found was a statement "I suspect BrSpl is the Brother print
spool service. I normally leave this turned off." The suspicion is
plausible, since my printer is a Brother.

Can anyone confirm that BrSpl is the Brother print spool service; and
if so, what are the implications of turning it off?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

Hi Stan,

Googling brspl+brother sure seems to indicate that this is a correct
assumption. Is it needed? Does the printer respond correctly if the service
is disabled?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> In Win XP Pro SP2, I've been looking at some services in services.msc
> that I can live without, so as to peed up boot time.
>
> One question mark is BrSpl. There's no description in services.msc,
> and no dependencies are listed. I googled for "BrSpl service", and
> all I found was a statement "I suspect BrSpl is the Brother print
> spool service. I normally leave this turned off." The suspicion is
> plausible, since my printer is a Brother.
>
> Can anyone confirm that BrSpl is the Brother print spool service; and
> if so, what are the implications of turning it off?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
> "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
> "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
> "I was misinformed."

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:23:48 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers favored
us with...

> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> > In Win XP Pro SP2, I've been looking at some services in services.msc
> > that I can live without, so as to peed up boot time.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm that BrSpl is the Brother print spool service; and
> > if so, what are the implications of turning it off?

> Googling brspl+brother sure seems to indicate that this is a correct
> assumption. Is it needed? Does the printer respond correctly if the service
> is disabled?

Well, that's the question. I suppose the logical thing to do is
just to try it, but to be honest I'm reluctant to do that without
some assurances up front. So many changes in Windows seem to have
unexpected consequences, particularly ones that are not clearly
related to the change that was made.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Hi Stan,

It's not a system-dependent service, so the worst thing that can happen is
that the printer doesn't work. Reversing the steps would correct it.

--

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:23:48 -0400 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers favored
> us with...
>
>> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> > In Win XP Pro SP2, I've been looking at some services in services.msc
>> > that I can live without, so as to peed up boot time.
>> >
>> > Can anyone confirm that BrSpl is the Brother print spool service; and
>> > if so, what are the implications of turning it off?
>
>> Googling brspl+brother sure seems to indicate that this is a correct
>> assumption. Is it needed? Does the printer respond correctly if the
>> service
>> is disabled?
>
> Well, that's the question. I suppose the logical thing to do is
> just to try it, but to be honest I'm reluctant to do that without
> some assurances up front. So many changes in Windows seem to have
> unexpected consequences, particularly ones that are not clearly
> related to the change that was made.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
> variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
> evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
> where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
> --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:34:15 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers favored
us with...
> It's not a system-dependent service, so the worst thing that can happen is
> that the printer doesn't work. Reversing the steps would correct it.

Highly weird. I stopped the BrSpl service, and tried printing an
article through my newsreader software. It printed, no problem.

Then I unplugged the printer and tried another print. It queued up.
When I plugged in the printer, the article printed without any
intervention from me.

So now the question is, what the heck does that service do? :)
I've changed it to "Manual" from "Automatic" and will see if I
notice anything different.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Try doing a two-sided page. I tried something similiar with my brother
laser printer and while it printed, two-sided printing didnt work. The
popup didnt show asking to flip the page.

--
Admiral Michael
Admiral Michael's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=72