Bruce Willis Isn't Suing Apple About His iTunes Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That's nothing a little work can't fix. Just convert them to OGG before you check out then all's good.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I defiantly think that a digital owned copy of a song for instance should be allowed to be brought to the kids when the parent passes, just like the cars, house ect.

RIAA and co sure wants to treat digital copy infringement crimes just as harsh as real world goods crimes (even when the riaa company keeps the original) so why not treat it as real world goods in the other end as well and as thus allow it to be inherited if the parent owned it. Similar to the licensed software that can actually be sold to another user even if used in parts of the world that apply fair usage laws.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Razec69[/nom]And this is why you buy the CD, rip it to your computer and do whatever you want with it.[/citation]But not the same for video game u are FORCE to use some shitty client and accept EULA regardless of physical CD or not.

When I die my kids will get my HDDs. The drives themselves may be password protected, but none of the content is, and I am sure they will do whatever they want with it.

Not that they would like most of the music I like to begin with :p

This is really something for the courts to decide. Going by the First Use Doctrine. I would say that you do have to right to resell, gift or bequeath your digital files. Regardless of the Terms and Conditions. As US law goes any portion of a contract is invalid that infringes upon your basic rights one of those being if you bought it you own it. Autodesk tried to do this in their EULA and when challenged were slapped down by the courts.

What makes digital content different from anything physical?

Could you imagine if the auto industry had Terms and Conditions stating you cannot resell your car? People would be sh**ing bricks. The same goes for DRM. Could you imagine if your car had to be activated with the manufacturer to work or stopped working if your internet connection was lost?

Rights of transferability of ownership need to be settled once and for all in the courts. Along with rights of legal purchasers to not be hampered by DRM.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]But not the same for video game u are FORCE to use some shitty client and accept EULA regardless of physical CD or not.[/citation]

True, that is why I try to make minimal digital purchases of games. I've actually read the agreements Steam uses and the games they sell with their nonexclusive licences. This is why I try to buy as many physical copies of games. And then I get no-cd cracks because I know eventually if the internet ever goes out the worlds, or my own, I will still be able to play my games that I legally bought with no issues.

I really think that the world and companies are going to sh!t with all this licencing and TOS where they sometimes literally say this product isn't yours, we own it, you are just borrowing it for a certain time period.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]chronium[/nom]Companies won't know when you die so all you have to do is leave your user name and password in the will.[/citation]
This seems like a very trouble-free approach.

I'm sure there's a lot of people worried about how they will get access to their loved one's iTunes collection when their loved ones die. /sarcasm

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Razec69[/nom].I really think that the world and companies are going to sh!t with all this licencing and TOS where they sometimes literally say this product isn't yours, we own it, you are just borrowing it for a certain time period.[/citation]and we are going to tell u how to use it, where to use it and we have absolute decision to take it away(stop server) from u when we feels it is no longer popular.

G

Before, the CDs you buy can be given out as gifts or handed down to kids, it should be the same for digital stuff since "you bought it." Plain and simple.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I do not use Itunes, so someone correct me if I am wrong. You can convert Apple's AAC format and burn it to a CD or save it to a hard drive in mp3 format. It may take a while for a large collection, but it can be done, and you can give that to whomever you choose.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Of course he doesn't need to sue Apple ... since today, with a bit of luck, his childrens can find Bruce's login and password on the internet ;-)

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I have a lifetime club membership and several lifetime warranties that will not transfer to my kids when I die. I own the membership not the service. I don't see that this is any different.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Razec69[/nom]And this is why you buy the CD, rip it to your computer and do whatever you want with it.[/citation]
Optical media is going away, computers are no longer being equipped with them. I agree this is the best solution, but everyone including majority of Toms users say optical media is dead (CD DVD/Blu-ray)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sheepsnowadays[/nom]Good old Apple, yet another reason to boycott you[/citation]
All digital content providers have similar TOS, oh no did I feed the troll?

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I think there is a business opportunity to setup a company selling internet rights corporations. As an end user, you purchase a corporation, and this business takes care of all the paperwork, etc. Then, when you as a partial or full owner of the business want to download an iTune, you ask the president of the business (you) to DL the iTune and make it available to you (the sole beneficiary). When you die, the corporation - and all of the rights it has to digital music, videos, etc. - can be passed on to your heirs.

F' Apple and F' the RIAA and MPAA. The skirt the gray areas of the law every single day, and even go so far as to lobby Congress to enact contradictory legislation such as the DMCA, and then they think they can tell us what we can do with material we have licensed? Nice try, but no.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]All digital content providers have similar TOS, oh no did I feed the troll?[/citation]
Are you sure? I've not verified it, but I've bought roughly 1.2TB music online (last cd I bought in an antiqueties store was Meteora from Linkin Park). Maybe I should bother reading that stuff some day. But then again, there's hopefully plenty of time between now and my appointment with the maker.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Optical media is going away, computers are no longer being equipped with them. I agree this is the best solution, but everyone including majority of Toms users say optical media is dead (CD DVD/Blu-ray)[/citation]

I know this is the sad truth. Honestly I won't be making the transition at all. In the future I'll be the old geezer with my CDs,DVDs, and Blu-Rays. I don't trust digital downloads at all. Publishers and Content provider are just laughing at the people who actually buy this stuff to not even own it.

No thank you. If you actually talk to some people who pirate games and do the such this is the main reason they don't purchase games. Ridiculous terms of service/agreements, and the fact that you can pay $20-60 or more for a game or movie and not even have the legal benefit of owning that particular disk.

This is another reason I don't buy Blu-Ray movies anymore, I have an extensive collection of DVDs well over 500 still. I have the legal ownership of those.

But this matter won't be resolved on Toms message board lol. This will still persist and people just don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.