Question BSoD Crashes, Random Restarts followed by USB Overcurrent Detected??? Need help figuring out which Component is bad.

p1x3lbl00d

Honorable
Jan 29, 2017
Hi all,

I have a puzzling situation. My gaming PC that I built is crashing when I'm playing games and when I close out of games. The crashes come in the form of BSoDs. The most recent stop codes I've been seeing are "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" and "irql_not_less_or_equal" with the ntoskrnl.exe failing. I will note that the crashes only occur when the system is under load (playing a game). I ALSO noticed that my CPU temps under load get EXTREMELY hot, as in mid-90s hot (using the stock CPU cooler), so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Here comes the weird part...

After the PC attempts to restart, it fails the reboot because of an error screen that reads "Over Current Has Been Detected On Your USB Device!! System will shutdown after 15 seconds to protect your mainboard!!" It will persist after multiple attempts to restart, but after 5-10 minutes of being turned off, I'm able to turn my PC back on.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x (no OC)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC (no OC, latest drivers)
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 @ 3000 MHz (no OC or XMP Profiles that I know of)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (I suspect this could be the culprit, as I purchased it as an open-box unit from Microcenter back in 2020, and I remember having to manually bend a pin on the USB 3.0 header on the board)
PSU: Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold (purchased at the end of 2018)

To add more context:
Other odd happenings are that my PC rarely just randomly restarts while using it. The restarts don't happen too often, but there have been multiple instances where I'd walk away from my PC and come back to find it restarted and everything I had open was closed.
I think I ran a memtest a few months ago that stated hardware problems were detected. I would immediately think my RAM is the culprit, but why would that cause the USB Current Overflow?

So bottom line is that I suspect it's my motherboard and possibly my RAM, but before I spend any money, I would really like to make sure I replace the correct parts. I do want to upgrade, but I need to know where to start. If anyone needs more info/context, please feel free to ask. If someone could please point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but why would that cause the USB Current Overflow?

This points towards PSU issue.

So, i suggest that you RMA your PSU and if any issues are found, you can get it replaced under warranty for free, since RMx has 10 years of warranty.

Also, do get aftermarket CPU cooler, since it's bad idea to keep using PC when your CPU is thermal throttling and on the verge of cooking itself up.