[SOLVED] BSOD (daily) during general use: fine in games (I suspect driver).

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2021
Hope someone can help me; I've tried several things to try and solve this myself.

Windows typically bluescreens once a day usually while watching youtube or general use. Not had any crashes while gaming. This began after I noticed some devices complaining in device manager so I then installed the latest drivers for my motherboard from MSI.
The errors in device manager went away but the BSODs began. I then updated BIOS in case that was related although probably shouldn't of as everything did work for ages prior and I didn't note what version I was on before...

I tried sfc and all the usual BSOD recommendations and analysing dumps myself but nothing obvious to me. Re-installed win10 as I hoped windows would install its own drivers but that hasn't helped. I did install the latest chipset driver from MSI. I haven't got the latest audio or LAN drivers as I thought they may have been what killed it. That being said my clean win install has nahimic audio and the realtek I was on before didn't include that. Looks like a pain to get rid of so I haven't tried.

System
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO - MSI B450 GAMING PLUS Max
RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
GPU - Nvidia 1060 GTX 6GB
PSU - EVGA 650W GQ Gold
SSD - 250GB Samsung EVO (SATA) exact model not sure.
Win Ver: 19041

Minidumps (most recent first)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - https://www.dropbox.com/s/raq3djsjzm3nrzs/010721-9875-01.dmp?dl=0
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (happened during shutdown yesterday not seen before unlike the others) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/el6jrgw9i5pnwbg/010721-10671-01.dmp?dl=0
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (most common) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4exwujpxbqxgbdp/010521-12000-01.dmp?dl=0

TL;DR: BSODs with clean-ish install of win 10, latest chipset driver and BIOS.

Jan 7, 2021
I'll post there after work. Appreciate all your efforts! Probably not PSU BSOD on a different supply, I left youtube on autoplay while getting a sandwich and came back to a reset PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
EDIT 3: BIG UPDATE! So I did something a bit random and went into bios and basically disabled CPU boosting and enabled AMD cool n' quiet in bios (meaning my ryzen 3600 is stuck to 3.6ghz and cannot boost to 4.2ghz), and set my clock to 2400mhz, disabling xmp. I've not gotten a bluescreen for an entire 2.5 days. This is a temporary solution until some kind of update comes along, but it seems to work for now.

Nerf PC to get stable. Your choice. might help, seems B450 & 3600 just don't work together for everyone.
i expect the updates would be bios/drivers

Jan 7, 2021
Yeah I've asked on AMD forum if there is anything to that. I may give it a go. If it works then I can sort out a return on the CPU for one that can boost properly

Colif

Win 11 Master
problem isn't really CPU, its more the motherboard/chipset drivers, as that would be only way to fix it.

Sure it might be a bad CPU but i don't know if 3600 are known to fail

I seen a lot of people with B450 and 3600 having problems but very few with X570 & 3600... not sure about B550 as its too new. So problems could be B450 chipset drivers and BIOS.

I am on X570 3600XT and seeing all these other cases sure can make you nervous :)

Jan 7, 2021
I'm back with an update! After chasing about I decided to RMA the CPU as nothing was forthcoming on debugging side. I was lucky enough to cobble together a PC from my old parts to tide me over during the process. AMD replaced the CPU, installed it and no more crashes!

Thanks for all the help and attempts to work out my problem.

Reactions: Uncodable
Status
Not open for further replies.