Question BSOD DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER nvlddmkm.sys

l0r

Reputable
Feb 13, 2021
Hello!

I have been experiencing this BSOD amongst others for the past couple of weeks/months now and have not been able to fix it since.

The BSOD happens seemingly out of nowhere, either while idling, having only a Twitch stream opened, while browsing in Chrome or opening a random image file.
The symptoms are always the same: the mouse cursor freezes, background sound is looping and the system locks up (sometimes with the video output glitching) for a few seconds until it restarts on its own.
I checked WinDbg and it always shows "nvlddmkm.sys" as the culprit.

System specifications are as follows:

- PSU: Corsair RM850x
- MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
- CPU: Intel i7-10700K
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 (QVL verified)
- GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 GAMING OC (top PCIe x16 slot)
- SSD: Samsung 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD (bottom M.2_2 slot)

Some things to note:

- BIOS is up to date (Ver. 3001)
- GPU is brand new (around 2 months old)
- I also experienced other BSODs in the past, namely "SYSTEM_ THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED", "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" and "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE" and using WinDbg all dump files pointed to "nvlddmkm.sys".
So I thought: case clear, must be a bad GPU or/and driver, right? Well... these BSODs all happened with another (older) GPU and non-qvl RAM and on Windows 10 before.

Since then, I have replaced the GPU with a new one (RTX 4060), explicitly new QVL RAM and wiped my drive, installing a fresh copy of Windows 11. And still: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER with nvlddmkm.sys from time to time.

Also at some point I thought the reason might be having XMP 1 enabled, which could be a trigger for those BSODs so I disabled it and indeed haven't had any crashes for a week since then. But could this just be a coincidence? Everything else is running on stock, BIOS is completely on default besides XMP.
Right now I am running my RAM with XMP 2 enabled, which puts the DRAM voltage to 1.361 (instead of 1.35). So far haven't had any crashes, but still testing.
Would it be possible that for some reason enabling XMP 1 could be the culprit after all? But if so, why should it?

Besides, system performance overall is very good, I can run Prime95 + Furmark simultaneaously without any crashes and temps are also good.
Only this pesky DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER BSOD out of nowhere sometimes...

I am really at a loss here. Please help.

Last edited: