[SOLVED] BSOD issue on new computer and errors during memtest86 ?

Nov 21, 2021
Hi,

I built my computer late 2020 and have gotten the same blue screen (not very frequently) since it was built.

"0x000000BE (ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY) " is the one I am getting, the more heavy gameplay the higher risk of getting it. If my computer is just chilling I would never get the BSOD.

I recently decided to try doing memtest86 on my RAM to see if it was faulty. Tried on the first RAM and got 6 errors during pass 2. I quickly understood that if you receive any errors during this procedure you need to either replace the faulty RAM or settings may be faulty (my XMP profiles were also disabled at the time of the test). Currently I tried lowering my DRAM from auto to 2933 and restarting the test.

Noticed I get errors during test 6 if that matter. After turning off XMP (it was auto) I received 2 errors instead of 6.

Any tips on what I can try?

Last edited:
Solution
An update on this. After disabling XMP profiles I lowered DRAM successfully from 2933 to 2666 in BIOS and did not encounter any errors in memtest86 scan at 2666. What does this exactly mean practically?
Going to scan the second RAM + slot now after cleaning it.
After you finish testing the ram update the bios and retest the ram.
Nov 21, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
Yea sure!

RAM: MEM D4 3200 16G (2x8G) TT ToughRAM RGB (R009D408GX2-3200C16A) * 2069
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Processor (6C/12T, 35 MB Cache, 4.4 GHz Max Boost), Svart
SSD: Kingston A2000 (SA2000M8/1000G) SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 500 GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO 8GB
Motherboard: MSI-MAG-B550M-MORTAR

I think I should say this as well.

Since this is my first homebuilt PC I have not updated anything for the motherboard (BIOS), what I did was boot up on Windows and run the PC. At the time I did not understand how to update / download BIOS or if it was required since I was able to run the PC. Now I've seen it might lead to incompatibility issues. Could this be the case as well or is it a long shot?

As I am researching this I will keep running memtest86s updating settings in BIOS to see if it can solve this (I am still just trying first RAM + slot).

Nov 21, 2021
An update on this. After disabling XMP profiles I lowered DRAM successfully from 2933 to 2666 in BIOS and did not encounter any errors in memtest86 scan at 2666. What does this exactly mean practically?
Going to scan the second RAM + slot now after cleaning it.

Nov 21, 2021
Retest with the last known working speed....make sure that still functions.
If ok turn on xmp and test.
Yea thanks a lot. Currently seems to be working very well with 2666 after BIOS update and changing XMP. If I get another BSOD I will immediately test again.

Nov 21, 2021
Okay a short update on the situation. After updating BIOS, testing one RAM at 2666 (which was OK) and then installing the other RAM and running the computer I thought everything was fine. Couple of days in I had probably 2 twitch streams and WoW running at the same time, getting a BSOD ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY again. Also received another BSOD about MEMORY MANAGEMENT or similar some days after that.

I am going to run memtest86 on my other RAM now which I have not tried yet, and I hope it is faulty. Otherwise I don't know what to do.