[SOLVED] bsod ntoskrnl.exe

Dec 29, 2020
i have been having bsod even after fresh install of windows and driver updates but bsod comes frequently again but the strange thing is that if i reseat anything ram or hard drive or just the power cable on motherboard bsod is gone please help

Solution
I did say that if there is one item in PC I wouldn't trust it was that PSU.
Better name PSU may cost more but they are less likely to cause problems for other parts.
A unreliable PSU can make other parts run bad as well.

if you can get a better brand I would. Something from Corsair or EVGA would be better than that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop

Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows

Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Dec 29, 2020
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop

Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows

Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PTRUGp5Dc-tT3D9yJ1rYtsyoxncVaDsc/view?usp=drivesdk

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/19dcgr6e/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091720-47484-01.dmp (Sep 16 2020 - 06:19:39)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File information:091620-46796-01.dmp (Sep 16 2020 - 03:55:40)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-PRO-M2.html
You have BIOS 2.7 loaded. There are BIOS updates available for your system. We recommend avoiding Beta versions. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 9, 2021
yes correct motherboard also
in bios when i open hardware monitor sometimes the bios freezes no response so i need to restart

Hello Abhishekpls help.

From what I'm interpreting, you are saying that your BIOS is freezing. If your BIOS is freezing, you may want to re-flash it (with the most recent stable version). However, I personally do not believe problems with your BIOS would induce a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED bug check. What can induce it is your memory or your drive. If the drive is coming loose, it can induce this bug check (usually can only be induced if it is plugged back in, however). What could be more likely is your memory modules, as the dumps state that the cause is memory corruption. With that detail in mind, run Memtest86 on the machine and allow it to finish. If any memory module is suspected to be faulty, replace or remove it accordingly. Lastly, if you have XMP enabled, disable it. XMP allows the end user to overclock their memory. If you have unstable settings, it could cause a bug check.

Dec 29, 2020
Hello Abhishekpls help.

From what I'm interpreting, you are saying that your BIOS is freezing. If your BIOS is freezing, you may want to re-flash it (with the most recent stable version). However, I personally do not believe problems with your BIOS would induce a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED bug check. What can induce it is your memory or your drive. If the drive is coming loose, it can induce this bug check (usually can only be induced if it is plugged back in, however). What could be more likely is your memory modules, as the dumps state that the cause is memory corruption. With that detail in mind, run Memtest86 on the machine and allow it to finish. If any memory module is suspected to be faulty, replace or remove it accordingly. Lastly, if you have XMP enabled, disable it. XMP allows the end user to overclock their memory. If you have unstable settings, it could cause a bug check.
I have run windows memory diagnostic, no error, also once the windows corrupt and when i was installing fresh windows the hdd did not appear in drive list and,in second try it appeared, reseating cables somehow fix it for 1week or so then backtobsod. i am confused cant figure it out. also pc used to restart randomly while gaming...
is it bcuz of cheap psu

Jan 9, 2021
I have run windows memory diagnostic, no error, also once the windows corrupt and when i was installing fresh windows the hdd did not appear in drive list and,in second try it appeared, reseating cables somehow fix it for 1week or so then backtobsod. i am confused cant figure it out. also pc used to restart randomly while gaming...
is it bcuz of cheap psu

From my understanding, the cable is probably loose or bad. My recommendation just for the sake of trying to eliminate the problem altogether would be to replace the cable you use for your HDD. As goes for your PC randomly restarting, it can be caused by a cheap power supply. If it is still randomly restarting, you should also replace your power supply.

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you get into windows or bsod at boot screen and it stops?
in other words, did you get a dump file?
critical process died can be a number of windows files, at boot it could be the boot files or logon files, both of which if they don't work you can't get into windows

what are specs of the PC?

both crashes happened after windows tried to get info off the boot drive. this isn't unusual really. But if you been messing with drive, maybe the cause isn't the cable.

Dec 29, 2020
do you get into windows or bsod at boot screen and it stops?
in other words, did you get a dump file?
critical process died can be a number of windows files, at boot it could be the boot files or logon files, both of which if they don't work you can't get into windows

what are specs of the PC?
got bsod at startup (boot screen)
PC Spec-
Amd ryzen 5 1600
gskill ram 8gb 2400mhz
zotac gtx 1650 gddr5 4gb
msi B450M-PRO-M2
seagate video hdd 3.5
iball psu 450watt

Dec 29, 2020
pc booted just fine second time, whenever i restart or shutdown program manager prventing shutdown message appear, do i have malware have scanned malwarebyte came clean or virus which causes windows to get corrupt after few days, or is my license of windows is faulty i dont know if my windows is pirated or legit but it gets activated after fresh install also i get updates,🤔 should i update bios

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, i had that problem. I had program manager stopping my pc from shutting down for about a month. Then I got a windows update and it stopped as easily as it had started. Program manager = file explorer. Its a windows error.

You can try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I tried to fix it, I stopped everything loading at start up as in my pc it was blaming one of my startup programs, so I would stop it, and it would blame something else, and eventually it was Program manager which I found to be File Explorer.

I would update windows 10 and see if it stops it.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
PC Spec-
Amd ryzen 5 1600
gskill ram 8gb 2400mhz
zotac gtx 1650 gddr5 4gb
msi B450M-PRO-M2
seagate video hdd 3.5
iball psu 450watt

cpu - run prime 95 and see if you get any errors
All - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Memory - you ran the windows test but its not perfect (neither is next tool but Prime 95 also looks at ram)
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

GPU (don't run these at same time)
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Motherboard - No tests available. You basically test everything else and if its okay, it is likely motherboard. (i don't like this way of finding out but i have no choice). Ideally you take PC to store and ask them to check parts before guessing its the motherboard.
did you test hdd?

PSU... well, we have pointed at this already.
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/

or multimeter, best method but most people don't have one.

or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583