WreckItRohan

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
hey guys. this started happening a few days ago. it’s uncommon and has happened 4 times. this only happened for me when i boot it up after a shut down and doesn’t happen most of the time. after clicking the power button, i instantly got a bsod saying FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA NVLDDMKM.SYS error.

idk if it’s related but a day prior to the first blue screen randomly at every boot it would run windows disk checking and after a quick google search i managed to turn it off via command prompt. all my drivers are the latest as far as i know (i’ll double check)

my system specs are as follows:

i7 10700k @ stock
16gb @ 3600 xmp 1 enabled
asus rog strix z490-e
evga rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra
wd black sn750 nvme
corsair rm850

i also ran memtest and it came back with no errors.

all help is very much appreciated.

Solution
hey guys. this started happening a few days ago. it’s uncommon and has happened 4 times. this only happened for me when i boot it up after a shut down and doesn’t happen most of the time. after clicking the power button, i instantly got a bsod saying FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA NVLDDMKM.SYS error.

idk if it’s related but a day prior to the first blue screen randomly at every boot it would run windows disk checking and after a quick google search i managed to turn it off via command prompt. all my drivers are the latest as far as i know (i’ll double check)

i7 10700k @ stock
asus rog strix z490-e
evga rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra
wd black sn750 nvme
corsair rm850

i also ran memtest and...

i7 10700k @ stock
asus rog strix z490-e
evga rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra
wd black sn750 nvme
corsair rm850

i also ran memtest and it came back with no errors.

all help is very much appreciated.
That chkdsk at startup is not normal.
Try running a chkdsk with the 'r' option and see what it says.
Try running a sfc /scannow and see what it says.

Solution

WreckItRohan

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
hey i did 'Try running a chkdsk with the 'r' option and see what it says.' and it took like 5 seconds then booted into windows - am i meant to see results anywhere or something - sorry if i've missed something obvious

i used many methods to check the logs and there's nothing anywhere. i even wrote 'get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt ' to create a file, but there's nothing on it

Last edited:

WreckItRohan

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
That chkdsk at startup is not normal.
Try running a chkdsk with the 'r' option and see what it says.
Try running a sfc /scannow and see what it says.

i ran the sfc /scannow and here's what it said:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

here's the log found i windows/logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U_6uxqgPlZmqpD4DCagGf4s0x-JSszdw/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
hey i did 'Try running a chkdsk with the 'r' option and see what it says.' and it took like 5 seconds then booted into windows - am i meant to see results anywhere or something - sorry if i've missed something obvious

i used many methods to check the logs and there's nothing anywhere. i even wrote 'get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt ' to create a file, but there's nothing on it
Put chkdsk log into google.
I would think there should be an entry in the event viewer.

5 secs seems a bit quick how big is your C drive?

WreckItRohan

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
Put chkdsk log into google.
I would think there should be an entry in the event viewer.

5 secs seems a bit quick how big is your C drive?

i checked for a long time in event viewer and there is literally nothing. i checked all the events which took place in the last hour and there was nothing there. if it helps, i ran 'REPAIR-VOLUME C' in powershell and it came back with no errors found (took like 1-2 secs)

my drive is a 1tb wd sn750

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
i checked for a long time in event viewer and there is literally nothing. i checked all the events which took place in the last hour and there was nothing there. if it helps, i ran 'REPAIR-VOLUME C' in powershell and it came back with no errors found (took like 1-2 secs)

Again pal you need to fully uninstall (properly) Nvidia drivers all of them and reinstall latest.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Chkdsk log should be at event viewer/windows logs/application/wininit.

I would think on a 1Tb disk it should run for 2/3 mins.

WreckItRohan

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
Chkdsk log should be at event viewer/windows logs/application/wininit.

I would think on a 1Tb disk it should run for 2/3 mins.

when i search wininit it says the following. ‘searching from the selected event to the end of the list, there is no event that contains the specified string. to search all events, select the first event in the list and run the search again’

also done the check disk at startup several times and it displayed the 10 seconds to skip then it goes blank for 2 seconds then boots into windows like normal

when i search wininit it says the following. ‘searching from the selected event to the end of the list, there is no event that contains the specified string. to search all events, select the first event in the list and run the search again’

also done the check disk at startup several times and it displayed the 10 seconds to skip then it goes blank for 2 seconds then boots into windows like normal
Something is blocking chkdsk from running.
Try the vid driver reinstall as suggested above.
See if it helps.

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
DDU First to save installing and if the issue persists then yeah I would recommend a full clean install. Clean install will do all DDU does and then some. No need to DDU then reinstall.

WreckItRohan

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
DDU First to save installing and if the issue persists then yeah I would recommend a full clean install. Clean install will do all DDU does and then some. No need to DDU then reinstall.
oh i already did that. sorry. i am monitoring it now. bit tricky tho as those bsod’s only happened 1/10th of all the times i booted it