[BSOD] Seemingly random Event 41 Restarts

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Good folks of TH, I'm sorry to bring my troubles to you but I'm starting to stress trying to figure this out!

---
What is happening: Periodic (typically once a night, different programs, different times) restarts. Event viewer says it is "Log: System / Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 41. I am inexperienced at reading Minidumps, but one dump suggests "wininit.exe" and another "crss.exe", not a lot of help there. It has not always been doing this, but unfortunately started when I installed a whole slew of software (Adobe Production Premium, a Cintiq tablet, etc) so it's hard to pin that down.
---
What kind of machine:
Windows 7, fully updated
CP850 psu, p8p67 pro mobo (36c), i7 2600k chip (37c) at stock speed while I'm figuring this out.
4x G.Skill Ripjaw RAM, statistics in CPU-Z and RAMMon included. Passes memtest86.
EVGA GTX 570 card (1), drivers updated
Vertex2 SSD (OS, main programs)
WD Caviar HDD (files)
4x 180mm fans, CM212+ HSF, single optical drive
---
Steps tried:
Uninstalling/reinstalling major programs, updating drivers
Checking minidumps for obvious file issues
Virus scan, defrag, basic upkeep stuff
Memtest for RAM
Checking temperatures and voltages in CPUZ/Asus AI - defaulting / setting to auto the configurations in BIOS
Physically cleaning computer (hey, can't hurt! P.S. - the dust filters on the Antec p183 case are straight from heaven compared to what I was using before)

Files:
CPU-Z Memory tab
CPU-Z SPD tab
RAMMon output as HTML
Asus AI temp/fanspeed readout
Minidumps (2)
Event log showing recent crashes
http://www.mediafire.com/?3leyt6iypsnhpd3

Thanks for any help you can provide - if you have recommendations I will be home to try troubleshooting, so toss em out. I have lost enough hours of photoshop/flash work, it's time to make this thing stable again ><
KK

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I mistyped (sorry, it was quite late) and am using a Vertex 3, but it appears they also have some stability issues on Win7 using the base firmware. Appears there's no way to update the system drive without making a second bootdrive, so I'll try the Ubuntu > Unetbootin > linux FW update utility method on the OCZ site. Seems like it should be a little less technical! I'll update the thread if I see results either way. Thanks for the lead!

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Updated firmware to latest version 2.15 and latest intel drivers, still got my nightly crash =/
Anyone have a recommendation for the next step troubleshooting?
Thanks!
KK

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-12-02T05:44:10.276804900Z

EventRecordID 96905

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Wheatley

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Antec CP-850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024

At this point I am really starting to wonder if it is a power issue after all. I just can't force it / trigger it, which is maddening. For troubleshooting's sake I have all my power settings set to auto and nothing overclocked, but I see in BIOS that my CPU voltage is ~1.176 where I have seen folks suggest a manual setting of 1.20. Could be something to test, but I hate to toy with it when everything started off working fine under those settings.

Leaving it on overnight on safemode, see if I can get it to crash at all when idling there. Thanks for your suggestions!

KK

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
No restarts for a few days now. Didn't do anything I hadn't tried before in one form or another; latest changes were reinstalling the most recent BIOS and telling it to use optimized settings. Sorry for the pointless update, just wanted to add a little (supposed) resolution in case someone should stumble upon the topic later.

KK

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Bump, I guess.

Same symptoms (hard reset, shows up as Kernel-Power 41 with a shifting set of 'probably causes' in the minidump. Any programs, any load, temps good, can run stable gaming all night for days at a time or can restart on us a couple times in a day.

Virus scans, checkdisk, defrag, CCleaner, RAMMon, everything checks out. Very difficult to nail down because I can't force the issue. I can let daughter draw in photoshop on and off all day but it knows not to reset until mommy hasn't saved after an hour of work that night.

Tomorrow I'm taking the next big step of formatting, but if anyone has further suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!