BSOD & STOP error w/playing DVD

Hi,

I'm running XP Home w/SP2. I've recently become unable to play any DVD, when
I attempt to play via WMP or Cyberlink it crashes to a blue screen
complaining about portcls.sys, on the blue screen.

Key components: P4, 256MB RAM, ATI Rage Ultra 128, Creative SB 5.1, DirectX
9.0c, 30gig drive, CD/RW+DVD combo drive GCC-4481B firmware rev. 1.03 (it's
on the HCL list), Windows update auto downloads enabled.

Error: Event ID: 1001. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The
bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf97f7f27, 0xf42848b8, 0x00000000).
portcls.sys - Address F97F7F27 base at F97F0000 Datestamp 41107f13

If I follow the details in a previous Google groups stored post about
enabling driver verifier and reboot, it does catch the issue. The computer
has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 (0x00000053,
0xfa340000, 0xfa344ff8, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050705-01.dmp. It's an 88k file, which I retained. I
can't read it though, it contains details of apps or hardware on the system?
I lack the requisite tech
knowledge.
Apparently the c4 part of the error code is the "general bug check code for
fatal
errors that the Driver Verifier finds" suggesting some sort of drivers
problem as opposed to hardware failure.

I have recently fitted the above combo drive as the old drive failed. *That
said* I got that blue screen problem with the other drive at the end of its
life too anyway. I don't know whether the error is driver related, Windows
updated auto-downloaded file related etc. The system had been fine before
the recent problem occurred. Haven't fitted any other new components.

I also ran sigverif, and have the logfile ["Microsoft Signature Verification
Log file generated on ...OS Platform: Windows 2000 (x86), Version: 5.1,
Build: 2600, CSDVersion: Service Pack 2 ...Scan Results: Total Files:
3470, Signed: 2630, Unsigned: 10, Not Scanned: 830"].

I can try to provide further information on request? :-/ Any ideas?
.... Help(!)

[earlier posted about in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general]

John, you could try setting the Drive as Master on the Secondary IDE
Channel. Then rt click MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device
Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Expand to Secondary IDE Channel>rt click
and
select Properties>Advanced Settings>Enable DMA in both Transfer Mode
Fields. You could also try a different ATI
driver. Check here www.rage3d.com
"Johnd" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm running XP Home w/SP2. I've recently become unable to play any DVD,
> when
> I attempt to play via WMP or Cyberlink it crashes to a blue screen
> complaining about portcls.sys, on the blue screen.
>
> Key components: P4, 256MB RAM, ATI Rage Ultra 128, Creative SB 5.1,
> DirectX
> 9.0c, 30gig drive, CD/RW+DVD combo drive GCC-4481B firmware rev. 1.03
> (it's
> on the HCL list), Windows update auto downloads enabled.
>
> Error: Event ID: 1001. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The
> bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf97f7f27, 0xf42848b8, 0x00000000).
> portcls.sys - Address F97F7F27 base at F97F0000 Datestamp 41107f13
>
> If I follow the details in a previous Google groups stored post about
> enabling driver verifier and reboot, it does catch the issue. The computer
> has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 (0x00000053,
> 0xfa340000, 0xfa344ff8, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
> C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050705-01.dmp. It's an 88k file, which I retained.
> can't read it though, it contains details of apps or hardware on the
> system? I lack the requisite tech
> knowledge.
> Apparently the c4 part of the error code is the "general bug check code
> for fatal
> errors that the Driver Verifier finds" suggesting some sort of drivers
> problem as opposed to hardware failure.
>
> I have recently fitted the above combo drive as the old drive failed.
> *That
> said* I got that blue screen problem with the other drive at the end of
> its
> life too anyway. I don't know whether the error is driver related, Windows
> updated auto-downloaded file related etc. The system had been fine before
> the recent problem occurred. Haven't fitted any other new components.
>
> I also ran sigverif, and have the logfile ["Microsoft Signature
> Verification
> Log file generated on ...OS Platform: Windows 2000 (x86), Version: 5.1,
> Build: 2600, CSDVersion: Service Pack 2 ...Scan Results: Total Files:
> 3470, Signed: 2630, Unsigned: 10, Not Scanned: 830"].
>
> I can try to provide further information on request? :-/ Any ideas?
> ... Help(!)
>
> [earlier posted about in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general]

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I understand you encountered a blue screen error about portcls.sys.

To locate the exact problem of the blue screen error, we need to analyze
the crash dump file. Unfortunately, we cannot help you analyze the dump
file in newsgroup. To trouble shoot this problem efficiently, I suggest
that you speak directly with a Microsoft Support Professional so that the
crash dump can be analyzed. Here are some articles that will help prepare
you for this call:

Blue Screen Preparation Before Contacting Microsoft
ID: 129845.KB.EN-US
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=129845

Gathering Blue Screen Information After Memory Dump in Windows 2000 or
Windows NT
ID: 192463.KB.EN-US
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=192463

For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and
information about support costs, please go to the following address on the
World Wide Web:
<http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp>

Meanwhile, based on searching the knowledge base, it points towards a
driver issue, likely to do with your sound card. You can try to change it
or update the drive.

I hope that the above information can be of assistance. Thanks for your
understanding.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support