Question BSOD, typical fixes not working

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Is anyone around that could help me find out how to atleast get my PC into Safe Mode?

Nothing is working after I am able to get to the Auto Repair screen. I can get to the "Advanced Options" and tried the restore point option, and that failed. Then it seemed to work for the Factory Reset option, so tried uploading my firefox. That worked, but within just a few minutes, the screen went black again and turned off the monitor. I couldn't get it to come back up again, and hard-booted the PC, and was back to Auto Repair screen again.

All I can figure is somethings happened that's irreversible. Any help at all appreciated, info on PC below. System info was older snip so doesn't show latest update to 20H2:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/n9H7NP1WTryc5Uphs93IlA.ezkXoz1a3LpIixymuz1i20

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to see if these options help you get into Safe Mode;

so doesn't show latest update to 20H2
You should ideally be on 21H2 if you're dealing with Windows 10.Might I ask where you sourced the installer for your OS?

Considering you performed a reset and you're probably free from worry with regards to loosing your critical data(assuming you backed them onto a removable drive) I think you should recreate you bootable OS installer and then reinstall the OS.

You mentioned being on an HP Pavilion, might want to check and see if it's got BIOS versions pending updates.

Reactions: nwgamelover

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Hi Lutfij,

At this point I have a blank screen. The screen did show the part where the HDMI connects to the monitor, it fails (been here before on that) then I get a "display is going to sleep". Yesterday I just looked around for info on how to get the blue Auto Repair back up. The computer won't login at all. Yesterday it kept going through the reinstall of BIOS. I am lost as I am only good with software. I did get a clean install of Win 10 downloaded to a flash-drive but don't know how to get a screen up to recognize the drive.

I'm sorry, I need a lot of help as you can see. Last year I did manage with help, to put in an SSD drive, and more memory. I was using Macrium to back it all up to the older HDD. A computer shop set that up for me. I turned off the macrium because I didn't understand enough about it, I know I sound pretty stupid, or at the least, uneducated. I felt it was taking up too much space, again, lack of understanding. I just did the update to 20H2 on that was in update area.

Last edited:

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Ok, I found holding down the F8 key got me logged in. It looks like a new install of Windows 10 but don't want to go further because last time I got this far, it failed again. I can try to reboot again but get into Safe Mode but I'll go read about that somewhere for now.

I am running Performance Monitor now to see if it shows any issues. I will let folks know what happens, if I find the fix etc.

After the Performance Monitor check, I didn't see it happen, but the screen went blank again and I am not connected to the monitor, or it isn't connecting. I'll do the hard-boot again holding down the F8 key to get back in hopefully. Not sure what to do next :rolleyes: I'll look around to see what I can find to do.

I found a thread here and tried what one guy tried. I hard-booted and held down F8, it worked again, I was into my desktop. Then I did a restart and by doing that it connected to my monitor just fine. I'm reading further on the thread now. Here's the thread:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/second-monitor-keeps-disconnecting.3698190/

Last edited: