Question BSOD when booting with all cores enabled

Feb 22, 2019
Hi everyone.

I can only boot my pc on 4 cores not all of them. I have an i7-8700. If I try to boot on all cores I get a bsod. Any ideas ? I've checked for bent pins to no avail, I've also reapplied thermal paste and my temps are all okay. I have an MSI H310M PRO-M2 mobo. Thanks in advance !

Changing settings like that in msconfig is not advised. I used to have a 4 core laptop and changing startup to boot using 4 cores didnt make it any faster. I have even seen this cause os curruption making a reinstall of windows needed. As you have found, it often causes issues even though it is sometimes advised to speed up boot. What are you looking to achieve by enabling 4 cores? Usually your boot drive, even with an ssd, is the limitation for boot time. Sometimes your mobo bios can be a limit.

All this setting does is cause issues and not speed up anything. Your better off disabling non microsoft services and startup programs to speed up boot. A faster nvme or sata ssd would greatly help boot times over a hdd.

Feb 22, 2019
Changing settings like that in msconfig is not advised. I used to have a 4 core laptop and changing startup to boot using 4 cores didnt make it any faster. I have even seen this cause os curruption making a reinstall of windows needed. As you have found, it often causes issues even though it is sometimes advised to speed up boot. What are you looking to achieve by enabling 4 cores? Usually your boot drive, even with an ssd, is the limitation for boot time. Sometimes your mobo bios can be a limit.

All this setting does is cause issues and not speed up anything. Your better off disabling non microsoft services and startup programs to speed up boot. A faster nvme or sata ssd would greatly help boot times over a hdd.
Sorry I don't think you understand. My PC won't boot the OS whatsoever if I have "all cores" enabled in my bios. I can only get the OS to boot of I knock the core count down to 4.

Feb 22, 2019
Oh ok. That would make more sense. What stop code do you get from the bsod? This does seem like an issue with cpu pins but you said they were straight.
I really hope it is the CPU pins as that would be an easy fix (in my eyes), however I did thoroughly check them over, from all angles, for a solid half an hour. It's been a while since I tried booting with all cores however if I recall correctly it used to present a few different errors each time, normally it would be 'IRQL not equal or the same', or something like that.

Feb 22, 2019
Thoroughly examine socket pins and make sure they are straight. I would try resetting the cmos and make sure everything is configured correctly. This could maybe be a mobo issue.
Unfortunately I did examine socket pins, ive received second and third opinions upon which they all agree that they are straight. Also tried resetting CMOS to no luck.

Lol not every solution involves throwing money at a problem. 650 watts should happily power that system. Even thoughthe vs is a lower end series, it is still from a good brand and wouldnt cause this. You could double check this by unplugging the 1080 and booting on all cores on integrated video. This would reduse psu strain.

rgd1101

Don't
Lol not every solution involves throwing money at a problem. 650 watts should happily power that system. Even thoughthe vs is a lower end series, it is still from a good brand and wouldnt cause this. You could double check this by unplugging the 1080 and booting on all cores on integrated video. This would reduse psu strain.
it not the watt, is the quality, is not just lower end, is the lowest end that haven't change since forever

For a non overclockable cpu that is fine. It prob will give the cpu more vcore if it needs it. Im assuming you cant change vcore on that chip an mobo.
As for that psu, the vs650 would still supply the system with enough power to boot. Even a crap 300 watt could allow the system to boot with all cores enabled, granted it would crash under load. The vs is not what i would pick for this system due to low quality, but it is adequate for the job.