BSOD while installing xp in new core i7 system?

gunnrunn12_7

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
first system build, i got my new system in the mail today minus the chassis :( still waiting from newegg. but i bench tested everything and was going to try to play somthing with xp. whent to install xp and it got it to just past installing devices after 2nd boot and bsod'ed on me twice (same spot) im waiting on vista ultimate 64 bit and the chassis but in the mean time im wondering if everythings ok. im parking it for sure till the rest arrives but i pretty much ran everything stock w/ the bios & everything.

core i7 920
6gigs of ddr3 tri ch. in slots 1, 3, 5
2 seagate 500gig hdd's
bfg 280gtx
gigabyte x58 extreme
1220 watt kingwin psu.
( xclio a380 case )

gunnrunn12_7

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
my bad. (edited) its a gigabyte x58, but i set the hdd's to legacy ide, memory timing from kingston and have a funny disposition with one of the seagate's for some reason. 1st & 2nd channels on master. odd on last ch. as master.

warnold

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
If this is XP sp2 or earlier, you have to turn off hyperthreading, drop active cores to 1 and set it to slow mode. then install, upgrade to sp3 and turn everything back on.

--
-billy-

gunnrunn12_7

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

thx thats just what i needed, probably the best quick fix i will ever have on a bsod. got it up and running, my 1 280 w/ far cry is pretty impressive. i need to see what this baby can do with crysis & a couple other high end games. i couldnt imagine what kinda heat a 9800gx2 or 4870x2 would put off after playing on this for a while then feeling it. ., but after install, sp's 2 & 3 were done in less than 45 minutes. couldnt raid the system tho. tried about every option and xp install wouldnt recognize it. but o well i could try again or just wait for vista. thx again.

llDemonll

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

oh my god marry me.

best fix ever, i spent a whole day messing around and resorted to calling microsoft to which my phone lost service and they called back at terrible times the next 2 days.

if there is a core i7 section, this simple fix should be sticked for installing xp without sp2 included