Question BSOD's happening on fresh Windows install ?

Ageforce

Prominent
Jun 12, 2021
About two weeks ago my computer became highly unstable, giving me BSOD's. These blue-screens would appear almost "randomly" within 1 minute to several hours after booting into Windows.

I have already tried:
  • Reinstalling 100% clean windows with USB multiple times
  • Disabling global c-state control (I have an AMD CPU)
  • Stress testing CPU, GPU and RAM= no errors
  • Disconnecting any unneeded peripherals and using a different mouse + keyboard
  • Updating SSD Firmware (WD Blue SN550)
  • Handing it in to some repair shop guy who did some stress tests and found no errors (Atleast that's what he told me)
Extra useful info:
  • I have newest bios.
  • I have no overclocks on, no XMP, I use default bios settings
  • It feels like the BSOD stop codes vary a bit, some of them I got was: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
-5600x, 3070, 2x8GB 3600MHz, Prime X570-P, WD Blue sn550

I have no idea what to do from here, it feels like I've tried everything.

Please help me out if you have any ideas

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
About two weeks ago my computer became highly unstable, giving me BSOD's. These blue-screens would appear almost "randomly" within 1 minute to several hours after booting into windows

I have already tried:
  • Reinstalling 100% clean windows with USB multiple times
  • Disabling global c-state control (I have an AMD CPU)
  • Stress testing CPU, GPU and RAM= no errors
  • Disconnecting any unneeded peripherals and using a different mouse + keyboard
  • Updating SSD Firmware (WD Blue SN550)
  • Handing it in to some repair shop guy who did some stress tests and found no errors (Atleast that's what he told me)
Extra useful info:
  • I have newest bios.
  • I have no overclocks on, no XMP, I use default bios settings
  • This issue started to happen after a windows insider update where I decided to try and reinstall windows.
  • It feels like the BSOD stop codes vary a bit, some of them I got was: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
-5600x, 3070, 2x8GB 3600MHz, Prime X570-P, WD Blue sn550

I have no idea what to do from here, it feels like I've tried everything.

Please help me out if you have any ideas
I would start with a multi-hour run of MEMTEST86 -- https://www.memtest86.com/
If you get any errors, then do a BOIS reset to set your memory timing back to default. Retest.
If you still get any errors, it is most likely that you have a hardware problem. Remove one stick of RAM and retest. Then swap to the other stick.
If you bought your ram as a kit and want to RMA, you will have to return both sticks.

Ageforce

Prominent
Jun 12, 2021
I would start with a multi-hour run of MEMTEST86 -- https://www.memtest86.com/
If you get any errors, then do a BOIS reset to set your memory timing back to default. Retest.
If you still get any errors, it is most likely that you have a hardware problem. Remove one stick of RAM and retest. Then swap to the other stick.
If you bought your ram as a kit and want to RMA, you will have to return both sticks.

I will give this a shot. I already have my memory settings/timings at default.

Another thing that might be a problem is the install media used to install Windows might be corrupted in a small, yet significant way. I ran into a similar issue when I installed from a really old thumb drive that was on its last legs.

I've tried with two different USB flash drives, so it is not likely the issue.

D

Deleted member 14196

Install an official NON BETA release. I would exit the insiders program. Why do you want to be an alpha tester for Microsoft anyway? Stay away from that stuff

Ageforce

Prominent
Jun 12, 2021
Install an official NON BETA release. I would exit the insiders program. Why do you want to be an alpha tester for Microsoft anyway? Stay away from that stuff

I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear enough, but I am NOT currently on a windows insider build. I left the insider program a long time ago. I just wrote it in the post to say where the problem started if needed.

D

Deleted member 14196

I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear enough, but I am NOT currently on a windows insider build. I left the insider program a long time ago. I just wrote it in the post to say where the problem started if needed.
Never mind, my bad

Go ahead and suggested above and get that memory tested one stick at a time and if that verifies OK we can move onto the next set of tests to see if you have actual hardware problems