[SOLVED] Budget Ryzen Gaming Build - Suggestions/confirmation please

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hello all,

I am have been looking around used PC builds vs building one myself. I am looking to build one on a budget but with a possibility of upgrading it in the future (since I do not require a hardcore gaming machine at this moment). I am looking for approximately $750 CAD after tax (usually the total price x 1.13, would get you the after tax cost where I am at). Price to include everything but PSU and GPU (please read the notes below).

I found a Ryzen 5 2600 build with GTX 970 SSC, Asrock B450 pro-v4, 1 x8GB 2400Mhz RAM for $740 used. That includes a 24" 75HZ AOC monitor and some accessories (headphones, keyboard, mouse). The seller wouldn't budge on lower it and not including the accessories since I don't really need it. Sure the monitor is a bonus for the price, but I am ok with what I got. My original intent was to get this used build, with the intention of upgrading the RAM and possibly Ryzen 4000 series in the future. Video card as well if required but it would of done the job for what I would game with (especially coming from laptop gaming). IF you think this build is actually worth considering over building please let me know.

Based on this used build, I played with pcpartpicker and I managed to build something similar. Could you please have a look and see if the list of parts seem good, or if there are any parts you would switch for something better?

LASTLY, I am just unsure about cases and motherboards. I am debating whether to choose the case that is on my build list or use the Masterbox Q300L, I really like the look of it. For the motherboard, I am thinking of a B450 chipset, but 3000 ryzen ready, also because I have read that the B450 chipsets will be compatible with the upcoming ryzen 4000 series. There are so many B450 motherboards that it is confusing about which one to choose.

NOTE1: I already have that exact PSU, I only included it there for the build list.
NOTE2: GPU was not included in the list because: I have a Gigabyte 950 GTX OC that I intend to use with that build. I know it's not the most newest and greatest card these days. But again, I think it will be more than enough. It might possibly bottleneck my cpu but I am ok with it, knowing that I will be able to upgrade it in the future.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($255.25 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $729.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-25 18:49 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution
bump the memory to at least 3200mhz

Don't go with the used build for that. As you see you can build it too closely priced. 1x stick of RAM is crippling with Ryzen, really any system for gaming.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
bump the memory to at least 3200mhz

Don't go with the used build for that. As you see you can build it too closely priced. 1x stick of RAM is crippling with Ryzen, really any system for gaming.

Thanks for your input.

I changed it to G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory. They are only $2 more.

Also, that was the first thing I was going to do if I even got that used build. I was going to immediately upgrade it to a dual channel RAM. Not sure why anyone would run at a single channel these days anyway.

Reactions: punkncat

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I would personally think that the build list above would put you into a nice space for a decent GPU/PSU upgrade as next step and to catch up with it's abilities...particularly in reference to a 950.

Thank you. I wanted to be in budget but be flexible for future upgrades without completely rebuilding. I have always been an Intel individual, but now I like what AMD has been doing with their Ryzens thus far (keeping the same socket type especially). So if ever I would require an update to the 4000s series, I would still be flexible to do so.

I know the 950 is outdated but it still keeps up decently. For sure if I end up doing anything more demanding than now than I'll upgrade.

My biggest headache for me was choosing a motherboard and a case lol.