Bug Or Feature? AMD's Catalyst Doesn't Recognize NB Driver

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbat

Splendid
Staggeringly good article! I continuously complain about the 'lack of depth' evident in the current computer press, and you guys consistently prove to be the exception to the rule...

G

yea good article
i think have a troubleshoting for this problem
just go install driver manually from windows without setup
after that install your new driver propley
and its recomended uninstall oldest and go safe mode and install manually after go normal mode and install your driver setup package propley
i test it many time i hope this help you people

G

and for people who have crashes in games just descreas memory frequency until you find the best like main 4850 993 i put it to 820 all games no crash now like gta4 crysis splinter cell all are fine trust me :)
because i use a software and memory are to hot 90 c and it crash i use 820 mh and hot is max 82 c and all ok
if you - your memory frequency about - 100 mhz it will be fine
and i am asking ati amd like to do this like automaticly limite memory frequency and speed by the hot like max 90 c and card limite memory speed and no crashes at all espicially 4800 series

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I have an AMD board, and have no problems with my drivers, but the ATI Catalyst Control Centre absolutely will not work at all with Windows 7!? Not a problem for most applications, but if I want to tweak my display I am stuck. While not even in the same league as Vista, Windows 7 does have a number of driver/software compatibility problems. I am waiting for patches and fixes. Thankfully, I still have XP on an alternate drive.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
For the same price you can afford better hardware than intel/nvidia.

With intel:
Overpriced hardware (+mobo cost)

With nvidia
Overpriced hardware

Nvidia can fry your gpu's (look at that driver that killed many 8000 series).

jowunger
I can play the same, most of the time, nvidia and ati works well but they have their problems, sometimes minor ones or big ones. None of them are perfect.

Is your point for buying hardware: if you have money, you buy intel/nvidia? Come on, how old are you, 8 years?

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I went from a nvidia 9800 gtx to a 5850. formatted my drive, And installed everything. And I haven't had any Catalyst driver errors when installing thme. How do I know if I have this problem?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I'd rather have good hardware and medicore software.. Then shitty hardware *cough*nvidia*cough* that frys right after the warranty or simply never works right in the first place. The only problem I've ever had has been with nvidia cards. INCLUDING driver issues.. GO figure.

But of course I'm not some stupid ass fanboi, and will admit I'm sure nvidia makes lot of good cards I've simply had bad luck with them. Of course that doesn't change the fact that I'll stick with ati from now on.

G

Very interesting Article. I took the update route. Very surprisingly, the installation manager did not ask for a reboot after finishing the update. I went from 10.5 to 10.6 and then 10.7, same story. This is weird, how could it be? Running windows 7 ultimate 64.

G

I agre randonizer these driver's exeption occor still but they are better than the video of the catalyst driver of pre 2003 they all say to use the uninstaller first rarely did i have to use that exept once of a long while the install manager is improved after 10.9 more than 10.8 i wish i did use uninstaller for that version but didnt need it on the driver that came afteri dont know why i got a exextreme x58aud7r for my board old board that fried I had a earlier x58ud3r and it didnt have the a before like the x58a-ud3r that northbridge was a problem definatly with that doent even boot till the fourth try its the older gigabyte model x58-ud3r without the a shucks i lost alot on that board but it still ran so i sold it for a few dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.