Build Advice [Build] Need help with my part list. I'm worried the MOBO I picked isn't ideal. I need verification the motherboard will perform well with my build.

visusys

Commendable
Jun 15, 2022
So I've been planning a build, and settled on this part list:

PCPartPicker Part List

I already bought the CPU, Cooler, Motherboard, RAM, Case, PSU, Monitor, and both TIM compounds.

The case is the case I'm using for my current build. I'm going to re-use it for this new build. The RTX2080 TI is also from my current build and I can't afford to upgrade yet, so I'm going with that. When I get the funds I'll be buying a 4090 or possibly a next gen 5-Series GPU depending on my ability to control my impatience.

I have two requests:
  1. Can someone look over the above list and confirm it's a solid build?
  2. The motherboard is the cheapest I've ever bought and it's a gaming motherboard. I'm using my PC for content creation (Graphics / 3D / Video / Audio Production). So I'm kind of doubting my choice here. If the motherboard is limiting me in any way, I'm going to return the Gigabyte Z790 AORUS PRO X WIFI7 and buy something a bit more high-end.
Admittedly my doubts about the motherboard are kind of irrational and revolve around price. Seeing that it's only $300 makes me think it might not be up to par with the rest of my components. So I need someone to confirm that my selected MOBO will be fine for this build and reassure my doubts.

And yes, I'm aware that the i9-14900KF runs super hot, even with a water AIO. If my temperatures start skyrocketing, I'm going to delid the CPU and go direct die with a custom loop and external MoRa radiator.

Begging for some help here - I would really appreciate any sort of feedback, suggestions, or advice.

Thanks so much.

Lutfij

Titan
1| They look alright, though you've purchased them, are you within the return period?
2| What kind of a content creator are you? To be blunt, you can build a gaming PC out of bottom of the barrel parts but what matters is what you're looking for out of your build/parts purchased. Bottom line, at face value(since you haven't mentioned what you're looking for in your motherboard purchase) the build with that board will be good go out of the box.

If I were you, I'd have looked into a non F SKU processor, or rather the i9-14900K so I have the iGPU at hand when my discrete GPU decides to give me a hard time and i need to troubleshoot before parsing an RMA claim.

Reactions: thestryker

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
If it was my build, I wouldn't be buying that motherboard - I would be buying something cheaper. The fact that the least amount of money you've spent on a motherboard is 300 dollars means there's been a lot of wasted money. If it has the features you want, then there is no reason to buy a more expensive motherboard. 2.5Gb LAN and WiFi 7 is already nearing overkill. It's also worth highlighting that this is nearly a 400 dollar motherboard - you just happened to spend 300 because it's on sale. If you insist on overpaying for your parts, then stick with it. If you want to save a buck then you can pick up a lower tier board. Just remember that buying cheap motherboard and facing lower performance is a bygone era, and even the most expensive motherboards today compared to cheap ones see no appreciable difference in performance.

visusys

Commendable
Jun 15, 2022
1| They look alright, though you've purchased them, are you within the return period?

Yes, all the parts just arrived today.

2| What kind of a content creator are you? To be blunt, you can build a gaming PC out of bottom of the barrel parts but what matters is what you're looking for out of your build/parts purchased. Bottom line, at face value(since you haven't mentioned what you're looking for in your motherboard purchase) the build with that board will be good go out of the box.

1. Audio Engineering, Music Production (Film / Scoring), Electronic Music Production (Bass music of all kinds)
2. Graphic Design / Visual Design / UI+UX Design / GUI Design
3. Branding / Brand Identity / Logomark design
4. 3D Modelling Software: Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, Keyshot, Marmoset Toolbag, Substance Suite
5. 3D Rendering Software: Cycles, V-Ray, Corona, LuxCore, Redshift
6. Development workloads: .NET C#, PowerShell, Full Stack webdev work

A lot of the above are more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. But I expect the biggest gains to be had are with my audio work. VST/VSTi plugins are CPU hungry and multi-threaded. So I am excited about that.

If I were you, I'd have looked into a non F SKU processor, or rather the i9-14900K so I have the iGPU at hand when my discrete GPU decides to give me a hard time and i need to troubleshoot before parsing an RMA claim.

Yeah, I've been told that, but honestly I have bought KF CPUs for many years without issue. I think you're right to be cautious though. Unfortunately I already pulled the trigger on the chip. If you REALLY think that a non-F SKU chip is that important, I can still return the KF and pick up just the i9-14900K.

Hey, and thanks for your reply, I really, really appreciate the input!

visusys

Commendable
Jun 15, 2022
If it was my build, I wouldn't be buying that motherboard - I would be buying something cheaper. The fact that the least amount of money you've spent on a motherboard is 300 dollars means there's been a lot of wasted money.

The reason why I tend to buy more expensive boards is because someone told my that a high quality VRM is super important in a motherboard so voltage is delivered properly and steadily to the CPU. I actually haven't checked the VRM in the GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS PRO X WIFI7 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 X yet, so I'll have to take a look.

Also, my expensive taste comes from the fact I upgrade my PC maybe once every 5 years - very infrequently. So when I do finally get around to refreshing my setup I tend to just buy the best I can find of everything.

If it has the features you want, then there is no reason to buy a more expensive motherboard. 2.5Gb LAN and WiFi 7 is already nearing overkill. It's also worth highlighting that this is nearly a 400 dollar motherboard - you just happened to spend 300 because it's on sale.

I hear and understand you. I guess this is good news for me then, I'm glad my motherboard is more than adequate in this case.

If you insist on overpaying for your parts, then stick with it. If you want to save a buck then you can pick up a lower tier board. Just remember that buying cheap motherboard and facing lower performance is a bygone era, and even the most expensive motherboards today compared to cheap ones see no appreciable difference in performance.

Ok, noted. I've been out of the PC Parts game for many years, so I'm not very well-versed in the current hardware iterations, feature, and performance. I don't mind overpaying a bit to ensure I can squeeze every last bit of capability out of my setup.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be confrontational, just sharing my thought process. And hey, I really appreciate the reply.

Jay

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Fair enough, you like what you like and if you find more value in higher end parts, then that isn't money you're wasting. High quality VRMs are important, but even inexpensive boards have basic overclocking features. Overclocking in itself is much less popular nowadays with how performant modern chips are. If you are planning to overclock, then a higher tier board may be appealing to you, especially since you alluded to a custom water cooling loop potentially down the line. I think you will be more than satisfied with your motherboard, and I wish you good luck on your gaming when your 4090 arrives!