Building a New One :)

G

I would like to solicit some opinions from all you fine folks :D PLEASE do not flame someone here for their opinion

My current set up right now is an IBM Aptiva P2 233, 64MB, 3.2GB Hard Drive, Dvd ROM. Add on's include: Voodoo 2000 PCI card, SB Live. Large tower, 15" monitor. The cool Darth Vader black color :p Basically a factory computer.

I have looked and have a write up of what I would like. I am an avid 3D gamer, with some dabbling into the MP3 world. What I would like are opinions on what some of you think would be a sound way to go and what to go after. I have done lots of research, read, priced items, etc etc. I am now at a point I would like to get some others ideas on what they like, what might work, etc.

I am in a thought process that I should scrap what I have and start from scratch. Being that the Motherboard is factory. I can salvage the SB Live and Dvd Rom and disk drive, but I am going to replace the Voodoo Card for sure with either a V4 or V5 or another. I am open to all ideas atm :) What to keep, what to replace, what to salvage, etc. Like shall I keep my tower and add on? or start all over with a new tower + motherboard?

Keep in mind: This is going to be a Gaming + Music set up.

ANY and ALL ideas, thoughts, Opnions are welcome

Thanks ahead of time :)

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
-New Case ($100)
-256MB PC 150 ($200) (128 if low on $) ($100)
-AMD Thunderbird 1.2 ($450)(900-1000 if low on $) ($150-250)
-Abit KT7 or ASUS A7V ($145)
-Geforce Ultra ($450) (Geforce MX if low on $) ($100)
-IBM GXP75 30GB ($140)

I think thats about it...
soup.
-Sound blaster live

AMD for Life!

G

1st class idea! I'm in the same boat but I am SO damn tight on money. You got a post saying the prices of some stuff.. this is what I've come up with..

Case - Enlight 7237 300watt power supply ($60) Tons of expansion !!
MoBo - Asus A7V if you're into good mobos and o'clocking! I found it for $122 on pricewatch.. but that went away :( But you can get one for like $132
Vid. Card - Go for the ATI Radeon 32MB ddr. You can pick this bad boy up for a mear $150 + free shipping! Can't get much better.
Processor - Thunderbird 700 mhz ($86)
RAM - Crucial 128mb pc133 cl2 ($70) ******************BUY NOW!!!!!!***********
get that? Buy RAM NOW!~!!! cant stress enough.. it wont go down anymore.. but will only go up .. really sooN! BUY RAM NOW! :)
I also recommend if you are going to oclock.. get a super chrome orb from thermal take. they are cheap and very good.

Hope this helped you somewhat..

GaLLant
Support your friendly quake3ers.

Brent

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought that the reduction in Ram price was due to the new DDR SDRAM currently being ramped. Never the less if its a quality product at a resonable cost go for it. Once DDR SDRAM becomes the main seller SDR SDRAM will probably raise a bit just for the reasoning that the stock pile of old will be depleted due to more manufactures consentrating on the DDR SDRAM. 72pin parity and EDO memorys seemed to have followed a similar trend.

If ya have the cash and need memory upgrade in the near future, this is a good time to buy 8)

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the sb live sounds like the only thing worth keeping. i guess the dvd is a keeper but uless it is a newer one you might want a faster regular cd-rom drive as well. also, i'm not sure why you want to keep the hard drive, it might come in handy as a spare but not much else. basically, you want a midtower atx case with at least a 250 watt ps, duron (probably 600-700mhz) inexpensive mobo (i like the epox ep-8kta+), 30gig hard drive (they seem to be at the sweet spot as far as price/size ratio), geforce2 mx, new 128meg stick of pc133 ram (what you have is probably pc66) and that should just about do it.