Question Building a pc for someone who knows nothing

Apr 10, 2019
Hey everyone! I’m currently a console user(Xbox specifically) and I’m big on gaming. I started streaming two weeks ago for fun, and ended up actually gathering a small audience. So I went out and bought an Elgato HD60S capture card so I can stream to my laptop using OBS. But finding out that my laptop can’t handle doing it without being extremely slow and stuttery... so now I’m left with buying a pc. So I’m looking to build/buy a pc that can handle doing that, well at the same time will also allow me to try playing pc games as well! I’ve always been interested in giving pc a try but never had anyone to play with, so I gave up on it. But now I want to try, and I don’t expect to play a pc on ultra high settings, Maximum FPS, just something I can hop on and play without any issues. (note* I do no plan on streaming the pc gameplay, streams are strictly for when I’m playing Xbox right now)

Budget- $1000 (Give or take $100)

Expectations -
•To be able to console stream without issue.
•To do some little video edits for YouTube(nothing crazy, just some montage videos and voice overs, literally windows movie maker could work for me)
•Play games such as; Fortnite, Apex Legends, Borderlands 3, The Division 2, ect. At the best settings possible for my budget and without giving up too much streaming/Small Editing potential.
•To have the PC look pretty cool because it will be in my live video streams(RGB if possible but I know it’s highly unlikely, so maybe just Red and Black or a nice White case that you can see into)

I’ve been looking at used on Kijiji(Live in Barrie, Ontario area) and I have someone helping me but I just feel uneasy going used when I don’t know anything. My buddy says I could find a good pc to do what I want for my budget used, it’s just risky.

I hope someone can help! Thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
It's on the high end of your budget but if too much then dump the ARGB fans and change them to Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 120mm (quiet and good airflow). The Ryzen 2600 is a excellent 6C/12T CPU that would easily handle streaming and the GTX 1660 6gb is a great 1080P gaming GPU. The case may be a bit more then you need but is well made and cable management is very easy as well as it would support the RGB on the motherboard. I'd leave the stock fan in the front as intake and then put 1 ARGB fan in the front as well for intake, 1 up top as exhaust and 1 in the rear as exhaust as this would give the system good airflow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($228.93 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($299.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120mm Fans ($72.26 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1100.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-10 10:57 EDT-0400

Apr 10, 2019
It's on the high end of your budget but if too much then dump the ARGB fans and change them to Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 120mm (quiet and good airflow). The Ryzen 2600 is a excellent 6C/12T CPU that would easily handle streaming and the GTX 1660 6gb is a great 1080P gaming GPU. The case may be a bit more then you need but is well made and cable management is very easy as well as it would support the RGB on the motherboard. I'd leave the stock fan in the front as intake and then put 1 ARGB fan in the front as well for intake, 1 up top as exhaust and 1 in the rear as exhaust as this would give the system good airflow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($228.93 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($299.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120mm Fans ($72.26 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1100.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-10 10:57 EDT-0400

I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me! I put everything in the cart but noticed in the PCPartPicker list it says "
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
is that something to worry about??

WildCard999

Titan
I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me! I put everything in the cart but noticed in the PCPartPicker list it says "
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
is that something to worry about??
Nope, it means that when you install that M.2 SSD one of the SATA ports on the motherboard gets disabled but you'll have 3 which is usually enough for most people.

Reactions: Tfinggoat
Apr 10, 2019
Nope, it means that when you install that M.2 SSD one of the SATA ports on the motherboard gets disabled but you'll have 3 which is usually enough for most people.
Not sure what it means, but ill trust you! Haha thanks again for the help! Not sure how long everything takes to arrive but ill post an update when i get the parts and put it together!

Apr 10, 2019

So I was going to buy it but then I was offered these parts brand new. All I need is a GPU. I can get the parts tomorrow. Is this good for $800? Plus a GPU cost? For what I want to do?

AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory

ADATA XPG SX6000 PCIe 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x2 M.2 2280 NVMe 1.2 R/W up to 1000/800MB/s Solid State Drive (256GB)

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive- 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch

AMD B450 AORUS PRO Socket AM4 DDR4 ATX Motherboard

TX-M Series™ TX750M — 750 Watt 80 Plus® Gold Certified PSU

Phanteks Eclipse p400 tempered glass mid tower

Windows 10

Apr 10, 2019
You seem to have missed the point.
The parts you listed don't have a GPU, but when you add the GPU they come to the same price as the one WildCard999 built for you.
May I ask who offered you that new computer list?

The only reason I’m asking about this build I sent was because I could have everything tomorrow and start my build. With Wilds build, I’d be waiting until next weekend. Which is fine, but if I could have a similar build by this weekend and be okay then I’d prefer that since this is my only available weekend until April 27th lol it was offered to me on Kijiji. I can send the ad link here if you want. And sorry if I’m being complicated but I know nothing about pc’s, but I’m trying to understand and learn best I can

Apr 10, 2019
Isn't Kijiji used stuff?

Anyways both builds would perform pretty close, mine might be slightly more FPS due to the faster memory speed.

Yeah 90% of the time is used. This guy claims all parts are brand new, so it’s something I would have to look at when I went to see. I have the ad linked below. And okay, that’s ok for me right now. As long I have a base to start with, my buddy says you can upgrade certain parts of a pc down the road if you want which has me leaning towards pc. I’ll be honest, I never knew you could just pull stuff out and upgrade to better parts.(to an extent)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-com...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
He said he can do as low as $750. If it doesn’t seem worth it then I can make a stop at Canada Computers and just get new parts I know are actually new

Just get new parts. You're going to have a lot of trouble in most cases with warranty service from the used parts, even if they are new ones that the other guy bought.

Generally speaking, you need at least a third knocked off the price of new comparable parts to start thinking about taking the additional risk. $50 isn't much of a discount; if you're really interested in the guy's used parts, I wouldn't go higher than about $550 or so.

Apr 10, 2019
Just get new parts. You're going to have a lot of trouble in most cases with warranty service from the used parts, even if they are new ones that the other guy bought.

Generally speaking, you need at least a third knocked off the price of new comparable parts to start thinking about taking the additional risk. $50 isn't much of a discount; if you're really interested in the guy's used parts, I wouldn't go higher than about $550 or so.

Alright I’ll go to Canada computers tonight and ask some questions. I’ll try to get the parts wildcard listed, thank you both for the help!