[SOLVED] Building a pc with an old case

speciaalvoorbdo

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
I can get: i5 7600 8gb ram 600 watt power tower cooler
motherboard h270f asus

For around €300 (not new)

I got an old aurora r3 case with sdd, usb etc in it

Can I use the cpu and motherboard etc in it. And for the time being playing overwatch, wow, lotro on medium till I can afford a good gpu?

(Last year I sold my i7 2600k and gtx 1070 cause I had no job but now im back in bussiness and wanna take it step by step back)

Is the cpu decent? Or for that r
Price I can get a better one with motherboard?

Solution

A very nice looking case.
The i5-8400 is an excellent mid range processor.
I might have a few possible problems.
1. While the included GTX1050ti is excellent, it is nowhere near the capability of your old GTX1070.
You may find that it is not enough for ultra 1080P.
2. The case has very little ventilation if you were to swap in a stronger card in the future.
3. There are no specs on the psu. A pre built will only have the minimum psu that is needed for the initial configuration.
A stronger graphics card later will likely need a psu replacement.
Also, the included psu...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Physically the motherboard is too large for the Aurora case. Needs to be Micro ATX at the largest.

Well on the used market I doubt you will find much better. 8th and 9th gen i5 have six cores now. For 300 Euro you can probably get into a new Ryzen APU build. R5-2400G has a decent onboard GPU that can get you back into gaming better than Intel integrated graphics. I always pick Germany as a default for Euro, if you specify the country it may raise or lower the price.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€144.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€75.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€86.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €307.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-22 15:53 CET+0100

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, slightly higher prices. If you can stretch your budget a little and get faster memory that will help the GPU (and the CPUs) performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€157.00 @ Paradigit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€73.00 @ Paradigit)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€89.00 @ Paradigit)
Total: €319.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-22 16:04 CET+0100

You could also opt for the Ryzen 3 2200G. A bit less powerful, but still decent. Might make room for a power supply if you still need one, though the Aurora's stock supply should be fine for powering an APU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The tricky bit here is he talking about running the i5-7600 only, no GPU. At least that is how I read it. Ryzen APU will make for a better interim experience.

R5-2400G at least has SMT, so you get eight threads out of it versus the quad core only on the i5. I would also argue that some of the upgrade options for the AM4 socket can certainly outdo an i5-7600. Particularly in some of the recent Battlefield titles that support multithreading better than older games. WoW, as in Blizzard, also recently patched their engine for more multithreaded support, no longer relies on a single fast core for every thing. Overwatch and LoL were more or less what the AMD APUs were designed for as well. Been a while since I looked at numbers, but I recall they were quite good.

Hmm, a synthetic bench, but still interesting to look at.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G-vs-Intel-i5-7600/3183vs2920

Mind that the Ryzen chip can be overclocked.

A good looking case.
I do not know your prices, but €30 is probably good.
I am always in favor of busting your budget for a case you love.

One caveat, the case is limited to 158mm for a tower cooler.
Fortunately, your cooling needs are minimal, even the stock intel cooler will do.

A very nice looking case.
The i5-8400 is an excellent mid range processor.
I might have a few possible problems.
1. While the included GTX1050ti is excellent, it is nowhere near the capability of your old GTX1070.
You may find that it is not enough for ultra 1080P.
2. The case has very little ventilation if you were to swap in a stronger card in the future.
3. There are no specs on the psu. A pre built will only have the minimum psu that is needed for the initial configuration.
A stronger graphics card later will likely need a psu replacement.
Also, the included psu will not usually be of top quality.

Solution
No the hp sff desktops have proprietary everything preety much.

That means non standard board mounting, non standard cooler holes, non standard psu.

While that's not a bad price its going to be near impossible to remount the hardware in a new case unless you have a lot of technical experience.