Build Advice Building after 11 years. Please review and advice

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Hello folks!

I’m building a new PC for myself after 11 years. My current build being an ATX, I would really like to go for a smaller form factor. I have mentioned my current and two proposed builds, an mATX and an mITX. Please review the builds. Can I do better with the parts? The 8" tall mITX is really tempting. But is it worth the extra cost? Will the small case affect airflow leading to decreased life? Is the AORUS better than the PRIME in terms of quality?

ComponentCurrent Build (ATX)New Build (mATX)New Build (mITX)
ProcessorAMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with stock coolerRyzen 5 3500
Or
Ryzen 5 3600 [1]
Ryzen 5 3500
Or
Ryzen 5 3600 [1]
MotherboardAsus M4A79 DeluxeB550M AORUS PRO
Or
PRIME B550M-A
ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
Or
B550I AORUS PRO AX
MemoryCorsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4GB Dual Channel Kit) x 2Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video CardSapphire Pulse RX560 4GBRetaining the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB. Will replace it with a PCIe 4.0 when the prices dropRetaining the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB. Will replace it with a PCIe 4.0 when the prices drop
Storage HDDWestern Digital Caviar Blue 640GB----
Storage SSDSamsung Evo 750 - 250GBCrucial 500GB P2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
I’ll add a PCIe 4.0 1TB when prices drop.
Crucial 500GB P2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
Power SupplyCorsair CMPSU-550VXWill retain the Corsair CMPSU -550VX as long as it keeps pumping.Will retain the Corsair CMPSU -550VX as long as it keeps pumping.
CaseNzxt Guardian 921Thermaltake Versa H17Cooler Master Elite 130
Thermal PasteArctic Cooling MX-2Arctic Cooling MX-4Arctic Cooling MX-4
Keyboard / MouseMicrosoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop (wired)PHILIPS Corded Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Will retain the mouse from the Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop
PHILIPS Corded Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
MonitorLG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide FreesyncRetaining the LG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide FreesyncRetaining the LG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide Freesync
OSWindows 10 ProWindows 10 ProWindows 10 Pro

Some background info:
  1. System Usage: Gaming. Mainly World of Warcraft. Played Crysis (not competetive) and Dragon Age Origins way in the past, so maybe something like those too. And with decent eye candy on my 2560x1080, 75Hz monitor.
  2. Overclocking: Maybe. But only after the warranty period and only if I can set and forget without compromising longevity. Prefer to run with the stock cooler. Although I don’t mind getting an aftermarket one if it’s worth it.
  3. Brand Preferences: This is based on local authorized service centers. I don’t like the hassle of mailing things in case RMA or post warranty support is needed.
PS: Sorry I had to repeat information in both the new builds. I couldn't figure out how to merge cells here. :sweatsmile:

[1] CPU Benchmark: Ryzen 5 3500 vs AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Last edited:

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Thank you so much for the reply! Most threads were getting replies on the same day. I had originally posted a week ago based on the guidelines given in this pinned thread. When I got more than 200 views but no replies, I thought people must be turned off by the length of the post and trimmed it down.

My current PC is soon going to be a hand-me-down to my nieces who will mostly use it for online ed. So I had thought of retaining the Corsair CMPSU-550VX as long as it lasts and getting a Corsair VS450 for the kids (they'll be using my older Sapphire R7 250 1GB). I had read this and calculated the power draw from the Newegg Power Calculator and thought I was comforably within the limits of the 550VX. Am I missing something?

Of course another concern is, if I go for the mITX build, the 550VX is non-modular and I wonder if I can fit it in.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you really want to keep using that 550VX let it stay in the pc it is in. The VS450watt isn't much better, wouldn't recommend that one either. At least get the CX 450/550watt for some quality.
Don't get me wrong i admire the quality the 550VX had when it was new, just looked at a review at jonnyguru.com, but that was a review from 2007 where it already had a ripple of 60 on the +12rail and nobody knows how that ripple is going to be nowadays.

You spend so much on nice new parts and then skimp on what feeds those parts.

So many come here with cases like this where they skimped on the psu and wonder why things don't work nicely when they power the pc on.

Oh and if you have the money would the Ryzen 3600 be my choice. Just for the extra threads in brings and in the future they might well matter.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
that was a review from 2007 where it already had a ripple of 60 on the +12rail and nobody knows how that ripple is going to be nowadays.
So that's what I was missing! I remember reading that review when I took the 550VX back in 2009. But like most people I ran off to the conclusion without going through the details. Difference between an amateur and a pro I guess. :sweatsmile:

Just for the extra threads in brings and in the future they might well matter.
You just read my mind. I hope to use the new PC for another 10 years, with a few upgrades along the way if necessary.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to do as little upgrades as possible get a good psu as well. Look at tiers A+B in the next list,
if you want to use it for 10 years would i not look at C and lower.

Reactions: builder2020

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
I saw a TX650M too at nearly the same cost. Figured I'd go for the full modular. As for seasonic, even the authorised distributor in India has literally 3 PSUs listed, an M12 and two S12s!

And most of the other brands available here (which also matched the tier list) don't have local support, at least from what I could see on their websites. Coolermaster, thermaltake, antec, super flower, none of them! That's why I'm looking at corsair as a one stop for memory and PSU and in a while for the NVMe too. Had a good experience with the corsair authorised local support when I had to RMA an SSD.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Glad I waited. I've decided to go for an mITX with a few changes.
  1. CPU - Ryzen 5600x
  2. RAM - same one, 2x16GB instead of 1x16GB. Got only 2 slots, might as well maximise it now.
  3. Case - Fractal Design Core 500
  4. PSU - RMx 650 as mentioned before
  5. CPU fan - Noctua NH-U14S (to maximise Precision Boost 2 and keep it healthy for the long haul)
  6. Might add more case fans. Figured if I'm going to keep the little guy healthy for 10 years, better keep him cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic 40

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Just found an article about the Fractal Design Core 500 case that got me a bit worried.

https://techbuyersguru.com/fractal-design-core-500-itx-case-review
"Want to jam a 160mm- or 170mm-long unit in this case because Fractal Design said you could? Good luck with that! You already know that modular 170mm units will mean you can't run a decent video card, while 160mm units will create a huge hassle when it comes to cable management."

They've given an excellent review of the case. But I'm not sure if there saying it's impossible to fit a 160mm PSU or that it's just an exercise to do it. :unsure:

Fractal design says the case can fit modular PSUs upto 160mm in length. Corsair says the PSU is 160mm.

Hello folks!

I’m building a new PC for myself after 11 years. My current build being an ATX, I would really like to go for a smaller form factor. I have mentioned my current and two proposed builds, an mATX and an mITX. Please review the builds. Can I do better with the parts? The 8" tall mITX is really tempting. But is it worth the extra cost? Will the small case affect airflow leading to decreased life? Is the AORUS better than the PRIME in terms of quality?

ComponentCurrent Build (ATX)New Build (mATX)New Build (mITX)
ProcessorAMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with stock coolerRyzen 5 3500
Or
Ryzen 5 3600 [1]
Ryzen 5 3500
Or
Ryzen 5 3600 [1]
MotherboardAsus M4A79 DeluxeB550M AORUS PRO
Or
PRIME B550M-A
ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
Or
B550I AORUS PRO AX
MemoryCorsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4GB Dual Channel Kit) x 2Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video CardSapphire Pulse RX560 4GBRetaining the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB. Will replace it with a PCIe 4.0 when the prices dropRetaining the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB. Will replace it with a PCIe 4.0 when the prices drop
Storage HDDWestern Digital Caviar Blue 640GB----
Storage SSDSamsung Evo 750 - 250GBCrucial 500GB P2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
Crucial 500GB P2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
Power SupplyCorsair CMPSU-550VXWill retain the Corsair CMPSU -550VX as long as it keeps pumping.Will retain the Corsair CMPSU -550VX as long as it keeps pumping.
CaseNzxt Guardian 921Thermaltake Versa H17Cooler Master Elite 130
Thermal PasteArctic Cooling MX-2Arctic Cooling MX-4Arctic Cooling MX-4
Keyboard / MouseMicrosoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop (wired)PHILIPS Corded Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
PHILIPS Corded Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
MonitorLG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide FreesyncRetaining the LG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide FreesyncRetaining the LG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide Freesync
OSWindows 10 ProWindows 10 ProWindows 10 Pro

Some background info:
  1. System Usage: Gaming. Mainly World of Warcraft. Played Crysis (not competetive) and Dragon Age Origins way in the past, so maybe something like those too. And with decent eye candy on my 2560x1080, 75Hz monitor.
  2. Overclocking: Maybe. But only after the warranty period and only if I can set and forget without compromising longevity. Prefer to run with the stock cooler. Although I don’t mind getting an aftermarket one if it’s worth it.
  3. Brand Preferences: This is based on local authorized service centers. I don’t like the hassle of mailing things in case RMA or post warranty support is needed.
PS: Sorry I had to repeat information in both the new builds. I couldn't figure out how to merge cells here. :sweatsmile:

[1] CPU Benchmark: Ryzen 5 3500 vs AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Don't get Corsair Vengeance LPX ram for Ryzen. It may lead to you chasing problems. Go for G.Skill or Crucial or some other brand.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Just found an article about the Fractal Design Core 500 case that got me a bit worried.

https://techbuyersguru.com/fractal-design-core-500-itx-case-review
"Want to jam a 160mm- or 170mm-long unit in this case because Fractal Design said you could? Good luck with that! You already know that modular 170mm units will mean you can't run a decent video card, while 160mm units will create a huge hassle when it comes to cable management."
Ah I also found this! https://linustechtips.com/topic/586539-silent-psu-recommendation-for-fractal-design-core-500/

"......at 160mm length, the type of cables you have will make or break its usability (though it SHOULD work.)"

And the RMx 650 has flattened sleeved cables. So I guess it shouldn't be a problem.
See nothing to indicate that a 160mm psu is a problem other than long gpu's which you don't have and some manufacturers even make small versions of high end gpu's.

Other option you could try since such a small case is looking for the latest Corsair SF series psu's, these are SFX size but come with an ATX bracket and the cables aren't as long which probably will help too. The Fractal Design Ion 650G has the same SFX standard and come with ATX bracket as well, also a good choice.

A more visual review which might give some more info,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QM1iKP8T7c

g-unit1111

Titan
Ah I also found this! https://linustechtips.com/topic/586539-silent-psu-recommendation-for-fractal-design-core-500/

"......at 160mm length, the type of cables you have will make or break its usability (though it SHOULD work.)"

And the RMx 650 has flattened sleeved cables. So I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

I have the 750W version of that PSU and it is a very excellent unit. One thing I will advise about building in an mITX case is that they are a colossal PITA to work with because of the tightened spaces. I have a build in a Silverstone RVZ-01B and it is managable but a very tight fit, especially for larger GPUs, and I learned that the hard way with my Radeon 5600XT.

One thing I would suggest if you are going that route is to get the SFX version of that PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020105na

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Don't get Corsair Vengeance LPX ram for Ryzen. It may lead to you chasing problems. Go for G.Skill or Crucial or some other brand.
The main reason I initially chose corsair was for the excellent local support available. I was in fact looking at crucial too, but dropped the idea due to (my perceived) lack of support. I just found out that the same service provider that supports corsair also happens to support crucial. So I could go the with ballistix too. Thanks for the headsup. I wouldn't have found the info on crucial support otherwise.

That said, I was looking at the RAM QVL for the gigabyte motherboard. The document lists all three (red, white and black) 32 GB (2x16) RAM as 16GB. In fact, the same is the case for some of corsair's 32Gb RAM. I hope its just a typo.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Other option you could try since such a small case is looking for the latest Corsair SF series psu's, these are SFX size but come with an ATX bracket and the cables aren't as long which probably will help too. The Fractal Design Ion 650G has the same SFX standard and come with ATX bracket as well, also a good choice.

A more visual review which might give some more info,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QM1iKP8T7c
That video was just what I needed. Seems the PSU used there was in fact a 160mm. I think I can manage with the RMx 650.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
I have the 750W version of that PSU and it is a very excellent unit. One thing I will advise about building in an mITX case is that they are a colossal PITA to work with because of the tightened spaces. I have a build in a Silverstone RVZ-01B and it is managable but a very tight fit, especially for larger GPUs, and I learned that the hard way with my Radeon 5600XT.

One thing I would suggest if you are going that route is to get the SFX version of that PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020105na
I was kinda looking forward to a PITA build. :p Thanks for the +1 to the RMx and the suggested SFX. I'll ask the store if I can bring back the unit in case it becomes an impossible fit. In which case I can go for the SFX.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Don't really know if you buy at newegg, but clicked on the 3600mhz and this is cheaper although not in stock at the moment, mmight want to keep an eye at that. Would get the 3600mhz/cas16 if about equal in price or in tis case even cheaper and even if just abit more.
I'm not going with Newegg right now. Unless they start a local presence in India, returning anything is going to be a headache. In any case, I'll keep an eye out for the 3600mhz too.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
An issue seems to have popped up. Although I might be missing something.

The motherboard has 1 CPU fan header and 2 case fan headers, all 4 pin. None of the other mITX B550 motherboards have anything more, so changing the motherboard isn't going to solve the issue.

Now, the Core 500 case comes with one rear 140mm, 3 pin fan (Fractal Design Silent Series R3). It doesnt have an alternate 4 pin connector, so I guess it can be connected only to the headers but not the PSU?

So effectively the rear fan is wasting a 4 pin header, which can be used for one of the 2 optional 140mm PWM top fans (was thinking of two 140mm 4pin Noctuas).
Is replacing the rear fan for one that can be connected to the PSU the only option? Or am I missing something?

An issue seems to have popped up. Although I might be missing something.

The motherboard has 1 CPU fan header and 2 case fan headers, all 4 pin. None of the other mITX B550 motherboards have anything more, so changing the motherboard isn't going to solve the issue.

Now, the Core 500 case comes with one rear 140mm, 3 pin fan (Fractal Design Silent Series R3). It doesnt have an alternate 4 pin connector, so I guess it can be connected only to the headers but not the PSU?

So effectively the rear fan is wasting a 4 pin header, which can be used for one of the 2 optional 140mm PWM top fans (was thinking of two 140mm 4pin Noctuas).
Is replacing the rear fan for one that can be connected to the PSU the only option? Or am I missing something?
you can use fan splitters so you can have two or even three fans to one header

TRENDING THREADS