Building new PC-AMD or Intel?

I am going to be assembling a new computer shortly. What makes it
hard
is I use it for a wide variety of uses.

1. Microsoft Office (mostly Word and Excel)
2. Design and Graphics-I also do a lot of photo editing with Adobe
Photoshop. I use the Adobe suite as well as Dreamweaver for
web
page development. Also for work I create DVD's so use
Pinnacle
Studio.
3. Multimedia-I want a system that is the ultimate multimedia
computer
since I do the video and graphics work and I want it to be HDTV
ready meaning I'll be able to get a high definition drive for
it, play video from the computer onto a HDTV, record video from
satellite TV, etc.
4. Gaming-I want it to be a good gaming computer and be able to play
the latest games.

Other Questions:

AMD vs. Intel: I read for gaming AMD is best (likely the Athlon 64)
and for video/graphics Intel is best (dual core). It seems for my use
Intel may be best but yet for gaming will I suffer that much by not
going with AMD? I can imagine Intel cost more as well. With Longhorn
coming out next year though being 64 bit would it be better to be
with
a 64 bit chip rather than dual core which I believe is 32 bit? Or am
better off going with the new chip from AMD which is both 64 bit and
Dual Core?

Heat Issue: I know someone who has both a Pentium 4 and a Athlon XP
and the Athlon seems to run far hotter than the P4. he has fans on
both and both seem to be operating fine but does this usually create
any problems?

Which brand of motherboard: In the past I have always gone with ASUS.
Is this one of the best to get?

I know for this I will get a good PCI Express card such as geforce.
As
well probably a good surround sound high definition card such as the
Soundblaster Audigy unless the sound is built into the motherboard.
the problem I find is I want a computer that just about covers every
use. I know I will have more questions to ask later such as what
case
to go with, what specific sound card, for memory I assume DDR2 is
best,
and what graphics card but this is a start.

I can comment on one issue:

Longhorn should not be an issue - it is a 32-bit OS. Longhorn 64-bit isn't
even on M$'s roadmap. It WILL, however, be a resource hog. You can be sure
of that.

"MarkW" <markwco@RemoveNoSpamcomcast.net> wrote in message
>I am going to be assembling a new computer shortly. What makes it
> hard
> is I use it for a wide variety of uses.
>
> 1. Microsoft Office (mostly Word and Excel)
> 2. Design and Graphics-I also do a lot of photo editing with Adobe
> Photoshop. I use the Adobe suite as well as Dreamweaver for
> web
> page development. Also for work I create DVD's so use
> Pinnacle
> Studio.
> 3. Multimedia-I want a system that is the ultimate multimedia
> computer
> since I do the video and graphics work and I want it to be HDTV
> ready meaning I'll be able to get a high definition drive for
> it, play video from the computer onto a HDTV, record video from
> satellite TV, etc.
> 4. Gaming-I want it to be a good gaming computer and be able to play
> the latest games.
>
> Other Questions:
>
> AMD vs. Intel: I read for gaming AMD is best (likely the Athlon 64)
> and for video/graphics Intel is best (dual core). It seems for my use
> Intel may be best but yet for gaming will I suffer that much by not
> going with AMD? I can imagine Intel cost more as well. With Longhorn
> coming out next year though being 64 bit would it be better to be
> with
> a 64 bit chip rather than dual core which I believe is 32 bit? Or am
> better off going with the new chip from AMD which is both 64 bit and
> Dual Core?
>
> Heat Issue: I know someone who has both a Pentium 4 and a Athlon XP
> and the Athlon seems to run far hotter than the P4. he has fans on
> both and both seem to be operating fine but does this usually create
> any problems?
>
> Which brand of motherboard: In the past I have always gone with ASUS.
> Is this one of the best to get?
>
> I know for this I will get a good PCI Express card such as geforce.
> As
> well probably a good surround sound high definition card such as the
> Soundblaster Audigy unless the sound is built into the motherboard.
> the problem I find is I want a computer that just about covers every
> use. I know I will have more questions to ask later such as what
> case
> to go with, what specific sound card, for memory I assume DDR2 is
> best,
> and what graphics card but this is a start.

markw10

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005

I didn't realize that. Are there any 64 bit versions of Windows
planned? As well, without a 64 bit OS does having a 64 bit CPU make a
big difference?

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On 18 Jul 2005 23:09:36 -0700, markw10@hotmail.com wrote:

>I didn't realize that. Are there any 64 bit versions of Windows
>planned?

I'm posting this from my Athlon 64 Windows XP Pro x64 machine. 64-bit
XP Pro was released as OEM only last month. See Newegg.com or
directron.com, both have x64 for sale.

As to 64-bit Longhorn, my understanding is that Longhorn is planned to
be both 32-bit and 64-bit on release, your choice on install based on
your hardware. Development on 64-bit Longhorn requirements is underway
now.

markw10

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005

I think I'm going to actually go with a Athlon 64 while prices are low
and with time upgrade it to a Athlon 64 X2 once prices go down. What
is a good motherboard to look into that will support both of these well?

<markw10@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think I'm going to actually go with a Athlon 64 while prices are low
> and with time upgrade it to a Athlon 64 X2 once prices go down. What
> is a good motherboard to look into that will support both of these well?

For the amd x2 cpu check the amd website for recommended mb's list is fairly
small at this time then go with you best feeling

Larry