Question Building Pc First Time. Need Help How is My Parts So far? Which ram for my system?

RileyM

Proper
Jan 24, 2019
My current horrible ridiculous setup is this:

Lenovo y-500 Laptop with external gpu (non thunderbolt, it's the slower dock that lowers bandwidth of the card alot)

GPU- GTX 1070 superclocked
CPU- i7-3630qm Base 2.3GHz - 3.3GHZ (this is the biggest issue <<<)
RAM: 16gb DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 500gb
Monitor: LG UD59 4k Ultra HD freesync 60hz
Keyboard: Razer Cynoza Chroma
Mouse: Razer NAGA

Sick of it. The 1070 keeps amazing framerates it really does even though it's bottlenecked and has decreased bandwidth, still can play near ultra in 1440p at 60fps most games. And crysis 3 runs into the 70s and 80s in 4k lowest settings.

But in certain games with high texture mods like skyrim moving quickly causes freezes and jumps as the CPU struggles to load everything fast enough and I guess has to load from disc. Even though ram is less than 50% used, vram is less than half, and tempertures of GPU are 57 celsius. So I know it's gotta be the CPU.

Moving slowly through game worlds is amazing experience no stuttering or hitching but moving quickly, Sprinting, driving, flying is a nighmare.

After around 3-5 hours of play time my computer shuts down and restarts automatically. Whether this is because of CPU overheating (it gets into the 90s sometimes) or just incompatibility I'm unsure but I NEED a new setup before my laptop is ruined. I need it for school.

Yes I know I'm asking too much of my system, yes I know it's a bad idea, that's why I'm here.

So anyway here's the thing. Iv'e never built a desktop before but here are the parts I'm thinking about. I'm following this parts list here https://www.wepc.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-1000/ Tell me if this is good or not? Thanks.

My only question is I want 16gb of ram instead of 8 because most of my games are using more than 8gb now.

what kind of ram can I get? Theres sooooooooo many different ones I have no idea which one is compatible with this.

So my question is, which ram is compatible with this system and best price for 16gb? Please help I appreciate you.

Last edited: