Question Built a new pc and with my new cpu, it will only boot up properly when ram is in single channel.

Mar 5, 2021
Ok, so I have just built a brand new pc. Everything is out of the box except for the PSU and the GPU. When I put it all together with my 4 sticks of ram I was getting the dram light on the motherboard saying something is wrong with the ram basically. After a bunch of messing around I found out it worked when I had ram only in a single channel. So let me first go over my build:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8gb
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B550 F-gaming
  • RAM: Cosair Vengeance 4x8gb 4000mhz
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73
  • PSU: Cosair TX850 (Silver Certified)
Okay so I guess now I should go over some interesting out comes and attempts I've tried to fix this:
  • Check for bent pins on CPU and have reseated it a few times to make sure
  • Made sure Cooler is not on too snug or uneven
  • Can run dual channel with my old CPU ryzen 5 1600 with the same RAM
  • Have tried using the VMP profile type setting in bios
  • Bios is updated to the newest version
  • Updated chipset software as well
So I guess this only leaves the CPU being faulty, broken, or incompatible with the current build I have. From everything I've looked up I do believe it is compatible with my build and on the outside at least I see no issues with bent pins or anything. So I guess I'm just seeing if anybody has any other ideas, opinions, or experiences with this type of issue before. I guess if nothing works for a while I will resort to buying another new CPU, but I'd first want to try every option before it comes to that because this the second new CPU i bought since the first one I bought came in with bent pins and I had to buy the second. Thanks in advance for any help :)

BogdanH

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
Similar happened to me in past (some RAM stick not being recognized).
Anyway, after fitting RAM sticks into different slots (just by replacing them), was always a success for me (except once, when it turned out one stick was broken).
Of course, you should have BIOS at default settings -but you know that already, I guess.

Mar 5, 2021
Similar happened to me in past (some RAM stick not being recognized).
Anyway, after fitting RAM sticks into different slots (just by replacing them), was always a success for me (except once, when it turned out one stick was broken).
Of course, you should have BIOS at default settings -but you know that already, I guess.
So for you, you just shuffled around your ram sticks until they were recognized? lol I mean I would try that, but all the ram seemed to work fine when I put my old CPU in the build

ASK THE COMMUNITY