[SOLVED] Built PC does not power on at all, tried almost everything.

lancen0136

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
Just built a PC for the first time and it will not power on.

I've tried checking all of my PSU cables, I've re-seated every component except the CPU, I've ruled out the PSU being the culprit as I also tried the paperclip test, and I quadruple checked my front panel cables. The only thing that happens is a few RGB lights on the motherboard light up.
Here's a video:
View: https://youtu.be/LV5l7b3GghQ

Wanted to ask here before I re-seated the CPU/heatsink if there's anything else I can check, my specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2
PSU: Rosewill ARC series 750W 80 PLUS
HDD: WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB
Graphics: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 8GB

Solution
The paperclip test can only prove if a psu is completely unresponsive. It cannot prove a psu is working correctly. In this scenario all you know is it is not totally dead, it could be working correctly but also it may not be.

iq7

Dec 18, 2020
you said this your first time building a pc, I think you missed something . it may cause by misplace panel connectors, cable, etc. check your ram, CPU heat sink, and the GPU placement .something wrong with the (power) cable from your PSU to the motherboard.
wait .. did the RGB light on your MB turn on when you just turn on the PSU?

Just built a PC for the first time and it will not power on.

I've tried checking all of my PSU cables, I've re-seated every component except the CPU, I've ruled out the PSU being the culprit as I also tried the paperclip test, and I quadruple checked my front panel cables. The only thing that happens is a few RGB lights on the motherboard light up.
Here's a video:
View: https://youtu.be/LV5l7b3GghQ

Wanted to ask here before I re-seated the CPU/heatsink if there's anything else I can check, my specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2
PSU: Rosewill ARC series 750W 80 PLUS
HDD: WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB
Graphics: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 8GB
Congrats on paper clip test, you proved that it's fan works, that's about all. There's much more to PSU

lancen0136

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
you said this your first time building a pc, I think you missed something . it may cause by misplace panel connectors, cable, etc. check your ram, CPU heat sink, and the GPU placement .something wrong with the (power) cable from your PSU to the motherboard.
wait .. did the RGB light on your MB turn on when you just turn on the PSU?
Yes it did

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I once had a similar problem where the PC won't turn on at all, albeit the fans do spin either by molex or plugged into the motherboard. That turned out to be a dead motherboard.

In your case however, it seems like almost no power goes through the motherboard itself. Either take out the PSU and plug it into another PC, or if you have a PSU tester handy test it. Not sure if you have one available locally, but PSU tester is a godsend for testing PSUs quickly and reliably by measuring the voltage that goes through each connection (24x ATX, PCIe, CPU 4x plugs, molex and sata).

Dec 24, 2020
I have the same problem right now. I just build my pc 3 days ago with a friend and a few hours ago my computer just shut off while I was using it. I’m think it’s the psu but I don’t know.