Question Built PC using some Pre-Built parts, not stable and unsure why

loukesmail

Honorable
Sep 7, 2018
Hi all. Long story short I've built a PC using the MOBO and PSU of a prebuilt I bought this year, combined with some old parts I've used in different PCs. (GPU, CPU, RAM, Drives).

It POST'd perfectly fine, Windows installation fine, but while installing Windows Updates it stopped POSTing. The computer was still on, fans on etc, but no signal to monitor. I had to restart it.

I got a bit further into Windows Update this following start up, but now it's stuck at "Getting Windows Ready".

Looking at Event Viewer there have been a lot (50+) errors ranging from Critical to Warning. I can retrieve the exact information when the PC will finishing Updating.

Really unsure what type of issue I'm running into here, I'm thinking potentially the BIOS needs a reset since the date/time is wrong too?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Build=
B550m Micro ATX
GTX 970
Ryzen 5 2600
2x8 3600 Corsair CL18 RAM
2TB Seagate HDD

loukesmail

Honorable
Sep 7, 2018
Update= It's gotten a lot more stable. Installed Drivers. Monitoring programs. Updated Bios, chipset etc. Enabled XMP. All working fine.

Only issue that remains is when performing the Windows Update, one of the updates fails and gives this error = 0x800f0900

Ive looked at several Gigabyte B550 boards,( is this your board? B550M DS3H (rev. 1.x) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global ) and none of them are supposed to support 2000 series cpu's?
it is unofficialy supported, even ryzen gen1 would work, cpu microcode is there, they are just scared of official support due to ram compatibility (very weak IMC) and missing features (gen4 pcie)

looking at bios for this mentioned mainboard shows cpu id 800F82 (ryzen 5 2600) is supported in bios
xl5HKkN.png

Reactions: kurdtnz

loukesmail

Honorable
Sep 7, 2018
Thank you. I don't think it is a problem with incompatibility, moreso a corrupt BIOS that is in need of a reset. Remember the parts have been used in different PCs in the past.