Busted Heatsync retainer ear on ZIF Socket -CRAP!!

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I have somehow managed to bust one of the heatsync retaining ears on the ZIF socket of my motherboard (yeah, yeah, I feel like a dick).
Socket 370.
Now when I try to put on the little plastic heatsync retaining clip that came with the retail CPU, it slides right off. I've got the broken-off part epoxy'd back on and will let it sit for a few days to cure.
But if put the clip back on an the epoxy doesn't work, I'm porked.
I noticed a product for sale at one of the cooling sites called thermal adhesive. Can a heatsync be glued onto a CPU? If there's some question on it, I'd rather replace the $160 motherboard than mess up a $225 CPU.
Hellllllppppp.....

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Calm down, there are several manufacturers that make heatsinks that use the outside tabs intead of the inside, you just have to look a little harder, an might have to use an Athlon heatsink to find one of this type. You can also use Artic Silver Epoxy, or JB Weld, to glue the heatsink on-make sure it is a heatsink you want to keep for the life of the CPU if you do this, and only use a THIN coat of adhesive, plus pressure to mke it sqeeze out the excess, and make SURE to offset it enough so that you can access the clip!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Errr...even if the epoxy holds at the outset, don't expect it to last forever.

Just get yourself a HSF with a three-hole retaining clip. Tom pointed one out in his latest HSF review--I believe it was an Alpha HSF.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Hey, thanks. I was wondering how I could access the CPU lever if I glued the heatsync on. I found the Taisol to have that three-hole clip. If I can't find a cheapy with a clip like that locally and borrow the clip for my intel heatsync, I'll probably wind up getting it.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork