[SOLVED] Busted Motherboard?

Jun 25, 2020
EDIT with specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLDVzN

Hello everyone. Over the past two months I have been trying to build my first PC. If you wish to help, bear with me while I recount my confusing journey.

Last week, I finally got all my parts, minus the SSD, together and decided to test Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM and PSU. Got everything connected and nothing happened except the little RGB on the Mobo flashes. The PSU fan doesn't even spin. I don't own any other parts to try and determine which parts work except for an old PSU (from a 10+ year old Intel pc - my new puild is AMD). I switch out the PSUs and happily it posts! BIOS loads up and everything. I was very excited and concluded the PSU was DOA. I returned it to the store no problems, but couldn't get the same PSU and had to order a different one. This took a week or so.

Today, got my PSU (in the meantime got my SSD as well) and fit everything into the case, thinking I had solved all hardware issues. However as soon as I connect everything the new PSU always fails. No fan spinning. Just that quick flash of the Mobo. This time I had a keyboard plugged in and its light also comes on. I try the other PSU and now it fails me...This time I search for PSU troubleshooting and find out about a paper clip trick to see if your PSU works. Unplug the PSU and test it. The PSU fan comes on and it appears to work. (actually tested both new and old successfully) Two things occur to me, first my first PSU I bought last week probably would have successfully tested with the paper clip and second I am assuming something is wrong with my motherboard.

I am using the Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Any tips or tricks are welcome before I disassemble the build in order to return the Mobo.

Thanks for reading all the way through.

TLDR; after successfully posting with an old PSU once last week, I now can't get it working with any PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
Geez... your correct. I recon not all board guides are not created equal!
By just by looking a a pic of your board you should only have 9 standoffs, one for each mounting hole on the board
I made sure most of the holes on the plate had a standoff
If there's a standoff where there is no mounting hole...it'll short out the board
Aorus.jpg

Other than that, pull out the board and do a bench test from outside of your case with everything removed except the cpu (leave fan and heatsink on) and one memory module, only use a gpu if necessary to see if anything sparks. If it does then possibly the board.

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
pull out the board to look behind it to see if there's a standoff in a location that is not supposed to be there, Standoff locations are specific, Read the manual. It will tell you where all the standoffs should be placed on the motherboard plate

Jun 25, 2020
pull out the board to look behind it to see if there's a standoff in a location that is not supposed to be there, Standoff locations are specific, Read the manual. It will tell you where all the standoffs should be placed on the motherboard plate

I will take a look- thank you!

Two questions, could it be shorting out now after successfully posting once? Also if this is the fix, is it too late for the mobo to recover?

Jun 25, 2020

Unfortunately I can't seem to locate any standoff location instructions in the manual. I think I made sure most of the holes on the plate had a standoff and a screwed into the motherboard...
Here is a link to the online manual.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Geez... your correct. I recon not all board guides are not created equal!
By just by looking a a pic of your board you should only have 9 standoffs, one for each mounting hole on the board
I made sure most of the holes on the plate had a standoff
If there's a standoff where there is no mounting hole...it'll short out the board
Aorus.jpg

Other than that, pull out the board and do a bench test from outside of your case with everything removed except the cpu (leave fan and heatsink on) and one memory module, only use a gpu if necessary to see if anything sparks. If it does then possibly the board.

Last edited:
Solution