[SOLVED] Buying $1000 Gaming Computer

judethomas97

Prominent
Dec 3, 2018
I currently have a msi gs63vr laptop with the 6gb gtx 1060. I have been playing call of duty modern warfare on medium settings and getting about 80fps. I have about 1k to spend on a gaming computer. My question is if its worth it to buy a desktop with that money. Would i see much benefit or should i wait until i have some more cash ? I do have two 144hz monitors along with gaming mouse/keyboard.

Solution
If the laptop performs well for you then I see little reason to go desktop now. Even if you wanted a larger screen you should be able to connect it to your current monitors. With Nvidia Ampere and AMD Ryzen 4th gen coming out later this year I'd hold off on a build and continue saving up. Also with COVID-19 parts have been a bit more scarce and pricing is a bit higher so unless you laptop was broken I'd avoid buying anything now if possible.

WildCard999

Titan
If the laptop performs well for you then I see little reason to go desktop now. Even if you wanted a larger screen you should be able to connect it to your current monitors. With Nvidia Ampere and AMD Ryzen 4th gen coming out later this year I'd hold off on a build and continue saving up. Also with COVID-19 parts have been a bit more scarce and pricing is a bit higher so unless you laptop was broken I'd avoid buying anything now if possible.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I know, it's kind of a bad time to be making any major purchases right now. If you must get a desktop and are vigilant about choosing parts, you can probably find them if you look for them. I've seen and read that Newegg is keeping a pretty steady supply despite all of this. They still have motherboards and CPUs available, but for how long is anybody's guess.