Sep 23, 2024
My C:/ drive SSD is now almost permanently on 100% usage with almost 0 data transfer, almost completely stopping my pc from being used. This even happens when windows is being booted (shown by an LED on my case being solid through all boot rather than the usual flicker).

Fixes I've tried:
SOFTWARE:
  • turning off a load of things that can cause it in the services menu (I think it's called)
  • Fully updating ALL drivers including flashing BIOS
  • in-place AND full reinstall of windows 11
HARDWARE:
SSD (C:/) (Crutial BX500 2TB SSD): tested using Victoria and one other program I can't remember the name of, checked with CrystalDiscInfo and crutials own software (all S.M.A.R.T. values are fine). SATA DATA and power cable also swapped. Will soon test in separate machine if problem persists whilst drive is in isolation (will edit when tested)

RAM (24GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX): Tested using Memtest, passed with 0 errors. Would like to note that test was not slowed down by anything to a crawl, leading me towards a potential issue with the drive.

MoBo (MSI B550-A PRO ATX): chipset and BIOS updated and CMOS cleared. Also the pc does boot so I doubt it. Also to note that pc does not lag in any way when in BIOS, again leading me to think the SSD may be the issue.

Case fans (Various): just wanted to add this here because I read in some places that these can cause issues, all unplugged except CPU cooler with no difference.

PSU (BitFenix Whisper M 450 W 80+ Gold): total power consumption is more than 50 watts below listed rating and power supply was working as intended with all same parts before problem began.

I do not know how other parts (case stuff and expansion cards) could affect this issue.

Full parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FBcZ7R

Sep 23, 2024
No, but I've had a couple of fixes (unplugging certain case fans, just the in-place "upgrade" and testing with Victoria) that cleared it for a couple of days to a couple of months without issues. It also happens with Windows in safe mode.

My C:/ drive SSD is now almost permanently on 100% usage with almost 0 data transfer, almost completely stopping my pc from being used.
Use Resource Monitor to find out, what is causing disk usage.
Open Resource Monitor,​
switch to Disk tab.​
locate Disk Activity section (not Processes with Disk Activity section),​
order section by column Total,
make sure column File is fully readable and​
show screenshot.​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)​

This will tell you, what process is causing disk activity and what file is being operated on.

Example of Resource Monitor window:
ec43c08f-2cea-445d-82b4-c89a3e9c8ac4

Reactions: Ralston18
Sep 23, 2024
You have 970 evo in your system.
Why is windows installed onto slow/dramless BX500 ?
Because I was dumb in my youth and decided to keep my C:/ on a 124 GB SATA SSD when that 970 Evo was installed then upgraded that to the Crutial SSD, next step would be another m.2 as my MoBo has 2 slots but money.

Not to the point where this is the cause of the issue.
try to enable provisioning, in disk management make some unallocated space at the end of C partition
right click on C: volume and pick "shrink volume", shrink it by 5% ~ 10% to make some free unallocated space, that should help with drive hiccups when it looking for free blocks
here example from mine drive
View: https://imgur.com/M4VghZB

if that wont help and drive would be still freezing, consider throwing drive away

Sep 23, 2024
Have you managed to check Resource Monitor yet?
I've been checking each time it happens and it seems to say basically the same that task manager says where there's nothing really of note other than the queue length goes to 50 and stays there. As soon as it happens again I will screenshot and send it into here.

Edit: the shrinking of the partition tripped the error so I could capture this, note that the file labelled as Harddiskvolume3 is the shrinking operation.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2024
I've been checking each time it happens and it seems to say basically the same that task manager says where there's nothing really of note other than the queue length goes to 50 and stays there. As soon as it happens again I will screenshot and send it into here.

Edit: the shrinking of the partition tripped the error so I could capture this, note that the file labelled as Harddiskvolume3 is the shrinking operation.

Sep 23, 2024
its defragmenting/trimming, once done it will tell you possible shrink size (based of fragmentation)
It has now finished defragging and there's still no change in it...rip drive ig? Still gonna test it in the other machine I have access to.

Edit: secondary test was completed on separate machine...definitely rip drive. Anyway any recommendations for any 2TB M.2s?

Last edited:

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
unplug your "wifi/ network" cable.. and see if it stops. i could be "an app sending out data from your drive." ,like a windows apps or worse case "malware" sending your data out.

so try updating antivirus.. then unplug pc from internet and run antivirus.. and see if that picks up anything and quarnatines it.. and see after if your pc runs better. i had a similar issue. a few months back.. i was using "my main "browser" which was secure.. but i opened an app that decidied to open "edge" and i got a malware or virus from that... i did had to unplug and scan.. and it cause the virus/maleware.. and everything was ok after.. (luckily it was my backup computer. so no important data was taken).

also instal https://uk.crucial.com/support/storage-executive its the tool for the ssd drive.. it will help it has apps to test the drive for errors and more

Sep 23, 2024
unplug your "wifi/ network" cable.. and see if it stops. i could be "an app sending out data from your drive." ,like a windows apps or worse case "malware" sending your data out.

so try updating antivirus.. then unplug pc from internet and run antivirus.. and see if that picks up anything and quarnatines it.. and see after if your pc runs better. i had a similar issue. a few months back.. i was using "my main "browser" which was secure.. but i opened an app that decidied to open "edge" and i got a malware or virus from that... i did had to unplug and scan.. and it cause the virus/maleware.. and everything was ok after.. (luckily it was my backup computer. so no important data was taken).

also instal https://uk.crucial.com/support/storage-executive its the tool for the ssd drive.. it will help it has apps to test the drive for errors and more
I already had it installed with latest drivers.
I have had it disconnected and it still happens and my antivirus is fully updated.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
did you instal the crucial app (in link i added in last post). it will tell you health of the drive and if there is issues..

you could try "con/alt/del" and check resources see whats making the hard drive use 100% of its resource..