4 GB DDR2
ATI 5750 1GB
SB Audigy
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
3 case fans, 2 in, 1 out
Thermaltake SpinQ cpu cooler
Windows 7 Pro
700W psu

Just installed the SpinQ which dropped my idle temps from mid 50's to mid 40's. Right now my idle is around 44-46 and while playing games in the 60-66 range (was mid 70's with old cooler). Checking with CPUID and Core Temp. Only noticed the temps when BFBC2 started to act up a bit. I just upgraded to Win 7 and had XP Media installed till last week. Handful of my buds have C2's duels and quads (none have 6800) and their temps are 10-15 deg c lower then mine. One person has a very similar setup to me, and he even has his board o/c so he can run the quad chip on it. Yet mine is still hotter then his. The only big difference is we live a few miles apart. They live in the UK were I live in KY.

I have not o/c anything nor really messed with to many settings in the bios. Could there be an issue with my setup or is this normal? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Good point on the 65 vs 45. Their comps are new so Im sure that is part of it. I think I bought this a few weeks after the C2D's were released (if that helps on exactly which one it is). So yes, that means I spent over $1000 for it lol. Ive had this for just about 4 years, so I figured its about time to play with it. I just wanted to make sure that these temps were safe before I o/c it a bit.

Well, temps are OK, but I wouldn't say it would be safe enough to overclock. According to Intel, it's max CPU case temperature is 60°C or so, but I'm assuming that Intel's trying to play it safe here. Apparently it starts to throttle down at around 85°C core temperature, so try to keep it below 70°C if possible.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Took the comp off the floor and put it on the desk. After switching a fan around, idle is around 40 and in game 57. I just never realized the lack of air movement in this room. Once the A/C kicked on, I saw idle temps around 35-36. I would love to do water, but thats not in the budget right now... unless someone wants to donate it!! :) I just couldnt find solid info on the net anywhere and knew this is the place to ask.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.

With the Core 2 Duo X6800, it's 85°C. You are right though, most Intel CPUs' max, absolute temperature before throttling down on Intel CPUs is ~ 100°C, however, it's not exactly a good idea to run near that temperature often, which would probably degrade the CPU's lifespan.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea personally I do not like getting over 65-70c with an Intel CPU.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I added another fan inside the case, but didnt really see any changes. The only odd thing is when I take the side of the case off, my temps drop 2-3c. Any suggestions?