Cache SSD Shipments to Drive SSD Market Growth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That pretty much was pre SATA 1 spec that had daisy chain. It more or less would be a multiplier of plus 1 on each device making up a chain of devices. Instead of one hub feeding 15 devices each device has a hub feeding an additional device. Same thing but drive makers will not add the tech for the additional port out to daisy chain.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Chainzsaw[/nom]I don't like the idea of cache SSDs. Whenever someone asks about it...I tell them to go for a straight SSD rather than a cache/HDD set up. The reason is cache SSD's need to "learn" your habits and it takes about 3-4 good sessions to get them up and running, whereas the straight SSD solution - it's always on and it always give you 100% performance.To me cache SSD's seem like a "band-aid" solution for bridging the digital divide between HDDs and SSD's, which in my opinion, would be better to go for the straight up SSD solution.[/citation]

a cache ssd would run the small crap quicker taking out seak time, and the hdd would hold all the bigger crap where seek time isnt as big a factor. i have to say that a cache ssd for average people is better than a ssd only or an hdd only solution, because i have people in my family who cant comprehend installing programs to different drives. i mean it should stupid, but thats the way an average person is, they have no clue how to really use a computer. unless someone is getting a 2-300$ ssd, odds are they dont have enough space, 60gb is barely enough once you consider os bloat, programs saving temp that is never really temp and so on, a 30-50gb ssd that costs under 100$ that is only cache would make most people happy with the increased performance, and still making their computer experience easy.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Is see AMD doing well in this sector. Intel is trying to position itself at the high end range of thin notebooks, but let's be honest, Apple will always dominate that sector (well at least for the time being). So Intel is going to fail at taking the top end. Maybe it will be able to position itself as a slightly lower priced alternative to a Mac. But for myself, I'd rather have a Trinity model priced in the 500 dollar range.[/citation]
Apple does use intel processors.... What exactly is your point. They win either way.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I have a 1TB HDD and would gladly sell it as I have only ever had about 100 Gig on it. Ie 90% is never used. Therefore I see the market for most people as a straight SSD of about 120 to 240GB and not a cache. Most of my video watching and so on is streamed and not stored and free online storage can be used too.

Status
Not open for further replies.