Call Of Duty: Ghosts Graphics Performance: 17 Cards, Tested

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_BigHead_

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
thanks for all the graphs that stop at 60 fps i guess? Whats that about, lol. seems kind of silly to not show the entire graphs data locations.....

Two things:
1 - To Silverblue
Silverblue, if the game doesn't use more than 6 cores, you won't see a performance difference between the FX-6300 and FX-8350 (at the same clock speeds). That's the reason the FX-6300 is such a great gaming CPU. It's exactly what you need and it's only $120. As for the performance difference between Intel and AMD, AMD's extra cores promise greater longevity. The Phenom II X4 was off of tomshardware's best gaming CPUs for the money for at least 3 years. Once the games started leveraging more cores, suddenly the PH2X4 was on the list again. It performed better in the newer games than it did in the older ones. As games start to leverage more and more cores, the AMD CPUs, while maybe never hitting the top of the performance charts (like anyone who has a clue cares about that anyway), will deliver smooth and playable framerates for longer than their Intel counterpart. Think about it, people still game with Phenom II X4's. That Deneb (stars) architecture came out in 2008! It still works pretty damn well too in my Llano-based laptop for playing Skyrim. You have to judge an architecture on its merits more to the end of its lifetime because you never know what the intention of the CPU is. Would you rather have the brute power of the Ford Mustang, only to have it die on you after a number of years or would you rather have the not as fast but useful for much longer Scion FR-S?

Next thing:

To BuckNutty - How can you trick a game into playing a mode that it doesn't have? This game is DX11-only. They don't have a DX9 or DX10 mode that they have locked. It just plain doesn't exist. Your GeForce 210 wouldn't have run this game anyway, regardless of DX version. It wouldn't run it because it's a crappy card that is less powerful than even one of your GTS 250s. You'll have to get a DX11 card of considerable power (HD 7770 or better most likely) to play this game.

Next thing:

To BuckNutty - How can you trick a game into playing a mode that it doesn't have? This game is DX11-only. They don't have a DX9 or DX10 mode that they have locked. It just plain doesn't exist. Your GeForce 210 wouldn't have run this game anyway, regardless of DX version. It wouldn't run it because it's a crappy card that is less powerful than even one of your GTS 250s. You'll have to get a DX11 card of considerable power (HD 7770 or better most likely) to play this game.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Avro Arrow

It'd be nice to have confirmation about it, and whether it's based on floating point or integer resources. It's entirely likely that, if this is indeed the case, the fourth core in an i5 may also be unused. There certainly isn't a doubling of performance between the i3 and i5, which could very well be proof.

Adding an i7 as well as perhaps SB-E could help with this.

jryder

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
It would be nice if Tom's would acknowledge the existence of Haswell processors. Enthusiasts have been buying them for 6 months now for new builds. So it makes sense to use them in benchmarks even if you don't feel the 5 - 10% improvement over Ivy Bridge would make it worth an upgrade.

bucknutty

Distinguished

I don't have a GeForce 210. In the article they said they tried to run the game on a 210 and it did not launch but they gave no explanation as to why. I explained why.

I did not say it was possible to run a DX 11 game on DX10 hardware, I do not know if there is DX 9 code in the game,(however I am guessing it might be possible because at least 1 version of the game runs on xbox360 which uses a variant of DX 9.) I was simply trying to ask the community if they have seen a "third party" try to "fix" a DX11 game to run on one of the older APIs.

Why do people have to be so negative? Think positive!

Sep 22, 2013
The single-player story is the element that strays furthest from previous Call of Duty games. Infinity Ward must have guessed that gamers are tired of fighting Germans, Russians, Asians, and Middle Eastern countries. So, this time around, the bad guys are South American.

While I am an avid BF player, long ago converted from COD, I have to point out an error with this statement.

In MW2, the enemy was actually shown to be of American decent, as well. While there were certainly Russian, Chinese and various Middle Easter enemies, there were certain individuals within our own government and military who assisted in the attack on the US.

While this game is far from realistic, the idea that a large nuclear device, detonated in the atmosphere above the US would result in an EMP and near-nationwide is not and is actually a emergency scenario that has been considered by the Pentagon and the military. It is this actual act in the game that has the unfortunate assistance of rogue US soldiers.

An extremely similar plot line is found in Splinter Cell: Conviction.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
quote The Geforce 210 would not launch the game because it can not run DX11. Ghosts is DX11 only. My older gamming system is a q9650 with 3 GTS250s in 3 way sli. It wont launch the game. Any one know of a hack to trick this game into running in DX9 or DX10?

Yes upgrade your hardware its time. I know you like your 3 way sli but your hardware has run it's course. I just upgraded mine about 6 months ago from 2 nvidia 295's to one 680. I was tired of not being able to play dx11 games. I love the card I have. I will probably sli it next month or so.

squirrelboy

Honorable
May 3, 2013
i have an odd issue in multiplayer. on some parts of maps my framerate drops from 90 to sub-50. meanwhile my gpu and cpu usage stay the same: http://i.imgur.com/JgJQAzy.png (this is on octane, walking onto the main street)
Sniping also more than halves my framerate, i assume because it renders the game twice.

So i did some testing in a private match, tried lowest and highest settings:
http://i.imgur.com/6yDpH5R.jpg
it LOOKS like a classic bottleneck. However, not a single part of my pc is maxed out.
(note: since making this, drivers updated twice (331.92 now) and the game had a few updates. I still have this issue though)

bucknutty

Distinguished

I have a bunch of computers. 3 of them have DX11 GPUs. The one I described does not. Its only used when my brothers come over for random game nights, so its not worth it for me to buy something to run this game. Its really more of a curiosity if a 3rd party has tried to adjust a game to run an older API.

Lutfij

Titan
Well that's very interesting! The news of the game asking for so much ram was true. The real problem is the engine is yet the same old M@ engine, nothing special :) but then again the call of duty series is supposed t be fun and not special.

^haven't had the time to try it out but eager to.

As always, very good article.
Keep going :)

BlankInsanity

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
as you can see.. Infinity Ward or Treyarch or whoever made this game needs the step their game up in terms of graphics and diversity. even old cards can play it above 60fps

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

You do know that people use computers for things other than gaming, right? Go back to /r/buildapc for an education, boy.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Leddit? No thanks.

And if your computer isn't built for gaming, then why are you complaining when it gets poor performance in games? Seems like the cause of that is pretty self-evident.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I suppose "more RAM than you need" would have been a better phrasing....

it's your cpu. most games arent optimized beyond 2, 3 or 4 cores. fast 4 core is still best for gaming, your 8 core is wasted. Everyone knows this. Should have bought an i5 instead of your 8350 for gaming purposes.

f-14

Distinguished
"against the evil (and technically superior) South American Federation. Oh, and the U.S. put up a 100-foot concrete wall along the border to protect what's left of the country, so illegal immigration is no longer an issue."

based on just that comment alone it sounds like illegal immigration is the entire issue, HA HA.i don't play anything made for consoles. after seeing how the first medal of honor was crippled for console users to be able to play i knew any game that was playable on a console was defecation headed to the 'john'

Status
Not open for further replies.