Braxg460

Prominent
Feb 13, 2021
I just made a new set up and I have a Intel Core i3 12 generation processor, ROG Strix b660-A motherboard, Samsung 980 m.2 ssd, 2 Vengence 16gb ram sticks, and a Radeon 580. Now to my problem. So I use the USB to install windows on to the SSD, which that works perfectly fine but when I try to select the SSD as a boot option, it will not allow me. Also I have attempted multiple different things to combat it not allowing the SSD to be a boot option, and none of those worked. Like I don’t even have the option to change the boot to the M.2 SSD. The thumbnail is what I’m dea

I just made a new set up and I have a Intel Core i3 12 generation processor, ROG Strix b660-A motherboard, Samsung 980 m.2 ssd, 2 Vengence 16gb ram sticks, and a Radeon 580. Now to my problem. So I use the USB to install windows on to the SSD, which that works perfectly fine but when I try to select the SSD as a boot option, it will not allow me. Also I have attempted multiple different things to combat it not allowing the SSD to be a boot option, and none of those worked. Like I don’t even have the option to change the boot to the M.2 SSD. The thumbnail is what I’m dea
Well clearly the installation did not go perfectly fine. Tell us about this SSD; is it new; does it have a GPT partition marker; was all the space on the SSD unallocated before installation; or did you delete any pre-existing partitions?

Braxg460

Prominent
Feb 13, 2021
Well clearly the installation did not go perfectly fine. Tell us about this SSD; is it new; does it have a GPT partition marker; was all the space on the SSD unallocated before installation; or did you delete any pre-existing partitions?
So I bought everything brand new nothing pre-existing, and there's nothing wrong with any of the components and the physical installation of everything went perfectly fine. The problem is, windows install allows me to select it as a boot option/install option. Although BIOS will not let me select it as an option to boot with. It shows it as a storage option but won't allow it as a boot option I have gone through various posts online about how to activate it as an option to boot but when I go to the exact same place as the posts there is no option to install. This is my third build and it is for my girl to be able to play with me and do hwk for school although it is my first time using intel and I did have a problem that I did fix by myself but I can't fix the part in bios that allows me to pick the SSD as a boot option or override it and force the SSD to boot is not an option. So I really don't know if I did something or if i just need to use a SATA SSD instead of an m.2 drive I've been working on it for like 6 hours now so I might wait till tomorrow and call a couple of places. But thank you very much for the reply and if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. Also, the reason that I bought intel for this build is that it was a great deal on black Friday.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
So I bought everything brand new nothing pre-existing, and there's nothing wrong with any of the components and the physical installation of everything went perfectly fine. The problem is, windows install allows me to select it as a boot option/install option. Although BIOS will not let me select it as an option to boot with. It shows it as a storage option but won't allow it as a boot option I have gone through various posts online about how to activate it as an option to boot but when I go to the exact same place as the posts there is no option to install. This is my third build and it is for my girl to be able to play with me and do hwk for school although it is my first time using intel and I did have a problem that I did fix by myself but I can't fix the part in bios that allows me to pick the SSD as a boot option or override it and force the SSD to boot is not an option. So I really don't know if I did something or if i just need to use a SATA SSD instead of an m.2 drive I've been working on it for like 6 hours now so I might wait till tomorrow and call a couple of places. But thank you very much for the reply and if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. Also, the reason that I bought intel for this build is that it was a great deal on black Friday.
Do you have a picture of the boot options in the BIOS? If it successfully installed, it should show Windows Boot Manager if I recall correctly. You should try reinstalling Windows 10 using the bootable USB method. Perhaps try using the W10 Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB, it’s possible that it was corrupted or damaged.

The motherboard list of bootable devices is based on it checking each device and determining if the device contains a bootable operating system. So its clear that your ssd does not meet those requirements. If you want you could download a linux live iso image and mount it on a usb stick. If you could boot from that you could use its Disk and Gparted utilities to examine your ssd and make sure its functional and includes a GPT partition marker; since it shows as a storage option its probably OK. But clearly you did not properly install Windows on the ssd so you might as well just do it over again. Use the Media Creation Tool to download a fresh Windows iso image. Use Rufus.ie to mount the image on a usb stick (and just in case there are no changes to the iso image made when mounting it on a usb, its perfect just the way the Windows Media Creation tool creates it).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS