Question Can’t install win10 on new rigg. Need help

Jun 21, 2019
Hi all,

i bought new components to upgrade my current rig. I can’t complete the Win10 setup. Please HELP!

i have disconnected most peripheral components and running under this config:
700w PS, Corsair
1 SSD drive 512gig Samsung pro
1 WD drive 2TB; test HD in case SSD is problem... experiences same problem as SSD
64 gig of ram
integrated graphic card; removed PCIe graphic card to aid troubleshooting
win10 pro is both on disc as well as USB

motherboard status: A0

win10 get stuck at these various points:
  1. Freezes at selection screen for keyboard/mouse, language
  2. Freezes when Setup is starting
  3. Freezes when copying files
  4. Freezes during startup process

Triggered safe mode to complete install:
  1. Completes copying files and gets into cycle of reboots
  2. After first reboot, windows is stuck at aorus logo and spinning dots stop moving
  3. Hard boot and same issue

Before copy of files, I installed the drivers for Aorus sata only; that’s the only inf file available on gigabyte webpage.

logged into command prompt and check for error in srt file; nothing
checked bios: uefi is on, boot sequence is SSD drive first, tried to put OS as other

Any ideas to resolve this issue??

D

Deleted member 14196

Can you boot and run Memtest86? If you can and can test the memory you will have ruled out a few things

Jun 21, 2019
So ... I have another older rig
I took my new ssd installed it and did a vanilla install of win10 on that machine; no extra drivers, nothing
I also used the DVD drive and win10 disk from the new rig. Win10 installed with no problem.
After more than 1hr being off power, moved the ssd with new install over to new rig. Win10 loads, gets to desktop screen. After 30 secs everything freezes. Did this a few times and noted that the freeze becomes faster and faster. Checked CPU temp @35.

Something is causing the system to crash ........ wow I am stumped.

I could not run memtest86, but took out all memory sticks and tested 1 at a time.no change to issue.

Jun 21, 2019
Finally was able to reboot into safe mode using the drive which i put win10 from another machine. I turned on msiserver in safe mode. Installed motherboard drivers for gigabyte. Well 1 was msi package was still unhappy with safe mode. Arg!!! Turned on F8 capability for Win10; in case I need to get back in safe mode.

Reboot back in normal mode. All ok. Get ready to install 1 msi package and then .... machine freezes. OMG!!!!

Something is causing the system to crash ........ wow I am stumped.
I could not run memtest86, but took out all memory sticks and tested 1 at a time.no change to issue.
Leave only single ram module, turn off xmp,
connect only OS drive (disconnect all other drives),
remove any overclocking, if you have done it.

Try installing windows after that.

64GB of ram - what model? Was it kit of 4x16GB ?

Jun 21, 2019

64GB of ram - what model? Was it kit of 4x16GB ?

I have been on 1 stick of ram 2 posts ago. Only 1 drive is connected, SSD with OS. No overclocking since still a new build.

RAM:Corsair vengeance lpx 2666 DDR4, 16gig each stick, 2 packs of 32gigs

Cool suggestion on xmp. I checked and it was disabled by default

Are you sure about reinstall of OS again?

Are you sure about reinstall of OS again?
Yes. Do all that, clean SSD and try reinstalling again.

Your problems might be caused by 2 different ram kits refusing to work together.
Also possible - cpu socket has some bent pins.

Jun 21, 2019
Yes. Do all that, clean SSD and try reinstalling again.

Your problems might be caused by 2 different ram kits refusing to work together.
Also possible - cpu socket has some bent pins.

I went a little further and redid a win10 copy from Microsoft media. Shut off CSM, disabled secure and fast boot. Finally able to build SSD on new machine. AND then it FROZE after 10mins ... guess better than 1 min. Booted in safe mode and has been stable for 1hr.

Note that I am only running on 1 stick of RAM, 1 SSD drive, integrated VGA

OMG ... now it is stable in safe mode, but still freezes in normal mode. Please ideas.

BTW, thx for all replies so far

Reactions: rbagro
Jun 21, 2019
Hi all, here is the current status.

I stopped using A1 slot for my ram and moved my ram to B1. I was able to complete an install of win10. No further drivers were installed. System was stable for 1hr. Then, football was on. We lost :(
After, I put a 2nd Ram in B2. Stable and solid win10; no problem.

I built the necessary USB to run memtest86 ver8.2. With 1 stick of ram, I stuck it back in A1 and ran the test. 3 passes (default test settings) has gone by so far with another just starting and no errors. RAM is correctly detected as DDR4, XMP, 2666mhz, Corsair.

It seems to me that the RAM is ok. Could it be with the motherboard? If so how do I prove to my local <mod edit> computer shop guy that this motherboard is DOA on slot A1? <mod edit>

Anyways, please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 21, 2019
Check cpu socket for bent pins.
Hi, I did earlier on, but did not mention. Got myself a magnifying glass and made sure. Pins look good.

Another RAM stick was tested last night before I went to bed . Memtest86 froze on that one after 1 min. No errors detected. Test never completed. I am back to thinking 1 stick of bad ram. I put aside that stick and started testing with another stick of ram.

Jun 21, 2019
If they all test bad I’m wondering if you have CPU issues
I tired to run ubcd. I have no clue why the USB keyboard gets disconnected and it shows as an error during run of cpu stress. So ... now 8 am straight out of ideas.

OMG ... my first time getting a gigabyte mobo ... should have gone with ASUS. Any ideas on wha5 next i should do?

Jun 21, 2019
I tired to run ubcd. I have no clue why the USB keyboard gets disconnected and it shows as an error during run of cpu stress. So ... now 8 am straight out of ideas.

OMG ... my first time getting a gigabyte mobo ... should have gone with ASUS. Any ideas on wha5 next i should do?

Issue with new build resolved ... buddy of mine brought a new slightly more powerful psu (mine is 700, his is 750). No more problems.
OMG