[SOLVED] Can’t unplug my cpu fan connector

loucaidesandrew

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
I decided to change coolers since my old stock cooler was giving temps a bit too high for my liking.

I’ve been trying for the past hour to remove the cpu fan connector, but it won’t budge an inch.
i’ve tried using a flat head screwdriver and wedging it between the retaining clip and the connector, but i still couldn’t pull out the connector.
I’ve also tried wiggling it and pulling it out, but still barely moved

I’ve also considered using pliers on the bottom of it to force it out of the socket, but i’m scared that might damage the pins

Any help would be appreciated as i’m not sure what i’m doing wrong

Some images of the connector
View: https://imgur.com/a/0ROqVRj

Last edited:
Solution
there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to remove it, i would say try some pliers. make sure the pliers are only touching the plastic casing of the connector, then slowly and carefully pull back, font pry the connector out of the socket, that could damage the motherboard (every action has an opposite and equal reaction, so prying it would translate all that force onto the motherboard) if you decide on pliers make sure to pull perfectly vertically, or as good as you can get it to prevent bending any of the pins.

i have had this issue before, but rather it was on fan hub and not on the motherboard. but i used pliers in that situation and that worked fine!

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to remove it, i would say try some pliers. make sure the pliers are only touching the plastic casing of the connector, then slowly and carefully pull back, font pry the connector out of the socket, that could damage the motherboard (every action has an opposite and equal reaction, so prying it would translate all that force onto the motherboard) if you decide on pliers make sure to pull perfectly vertically, or as good as you can get it to prevent bending any of the pins.

i have had this issue before, but rather it was on fan hub and not on the motherboard. but i used pliers in that situation and that worked fine!

Reactions: loucaidesandrew
Solution

loucaidesandrew

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
I used a pair of pliers and after a little bit of vertically pulling, it finally came out and nothing was damaged.

I’m glad that it was just an issue of more grip and force being needed and not something else.

Thanks a lot!